016 KEP adapter kit

Hi Guys
I've fitted my KEP 016 to Windsor 5ltr adapter to my GT40 and am having
trouble with clutch, I have the stage 2 pressure plate. When I press the
clutch pedal it wont release the clutch plate. Now I've bleed the system
correctly and my slave cylinder is good condition (standard audi).
I started with a 5/8 master cylinder and got a good pedal but no actuation
at the box , I've just changed the master cylinder to a 3/4 and only just seem to get the clucth to release a small amount and can only just turn
the wheel with a great amount of force. Do I need to use a 1 inch master
or bigger size or have I gone wrong somewhere else?

Dave it sounds like it may be somewere else.
I have used both those master cylinder sizes with no problem.
Ended up with the 5/8 as it gave a lighter pedal.

One thing I have had on several occations and always with cars with that have rear engines is trying to bleed it out.
I have had to use a vacuum bleeder.

The other thing is you are happy in that area then maybe the input shaft is pushing into the back of the crank ? worth a look.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim
I've bleed the system several times and when you press the clutch
pedal it feels good and when i swapped to a 3/4 master cylinder after bleeding, the pedal felt heavier. I will check and see if the input shaft is hitting the back of the crank. I think it will come down something like that.
Hoping someone with a KEP kit will chime in.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I used a 7/8" master without problems. Pedal feel is a bit heavy but not bad.

Jim "What a legend".
The input shaft was catching on the spigot bearing housing which
wasn't all the way home in the crankshaft, a couple of whacks with the hammer and all clears well and I have a clutch working with 5/8 master cylinder. Thanks Mate.

albanygt40 said:
Hi Guys
I've fitted my KEP 016 to Windsor 5ltr adapter to my GT40 and am having
trouble with clutch, I have the stage 2 pressure plate. When I press the
clutch pedal it wont release the clutch plate. Now I've bleed the system
correctly and my slave cylinder is good condition (standard audi).
I started with a 5/8 master cylinder and got a good pedal but no actuation at the box , I've just changed the master cylinder to a 3/4 and only just seem to get the clucth to release a small amount and can only just turn the wheel with a great amount of force. Do I need to use a 1 inch master or bigger size or have I gone wrong somewhere else?
Hello Dave
5/8 and 3/4" clutch master cylinders are usual values to have the best relation between pedal travel, pedal effort and "progressivity" (note sure about this word :eek: ). However, we have to take car about the "pedal ratio" that is the distance between pedal axle and master cylinder rod connection. It means that if this ratio is shorter you have to use a large master cylinder that will work with a short travel. In opposite, if you have a large ratio, use a smaller master cylinder that will work with a longer travel. Basic principle is to obtain the righ oil volume displacement to move the slave cylinder accordingly. Second point is the clutch fork ratio. I don't know the AUDI value for your case but if it is a large ratio, you may have to use a larger master cylinder to compensate the requested long travel. Before to change your master cylinder for a larger one, you have to check first the mechanical gap between the slave cylinder and the cluch fork. It should be ajusted to have only a small "dead" travel (about 1/16") before clutch pushing action (you can feel it on the pedal effort when it become hard). Also, request to a friend to push slowly the clutch pedal and have a look on your slave cylinder action to observe the rod displacement (should be linear without blocking point).
3 month ago, I had a similar problem on my car and I had changed my 3/4" for a 7/8". The result was a pedal action harder only! Finally, I have decided to remove the trans to change my TOB (it is a kind of slave cylinder inside the bell housing that was not working properly). Now I have installed a 5/8" master cylinder and I have a smooth action with a good clutch progression (not ON -OFF style like the first test with the 7/8"). Hope these informations can help you ;)

Bernard when my clutch started to work I wasn't sure if should use
the 3/4 master cylinder with the shorter throw pedal and medium stiffness pedal feel or the soft long pedal with a 5/8 master cylinder. Ended up with
5/8 but I suspect I'll go back to the 3/4.

I'm just glad that all is working well now.

Back