1967 Daytona Continental Pictures

That "P4" with the blue dished wheels is not a true P4 but a 412P (P3/4). In fact the winning spyder although the first works P4 was based on a P3. The Yellow Shelby entered Ford MKII (1012) had a blister built into the rear lid window to presumabley allow clearence or air for the twin Holleys. Great photos though; thanks for showing them.
Regards Allan

Interesting. I still have the original program book and used that as a quick reference in describing the cars. #'s 23, 24, & 26 are listed as 1967 P4 w/4000cc. #'s 27 & 31 (no photos) are listed as 1966 P3 w/3285cc.

Here's the only other reference to the Ferrari in the program which you might enjoy.

img138.jpg

Just to confuse all of us even more. The 1967 Daytona winner No23 "the works P4 Spyder" of Amon/Bandini was actually not a true P4. It was built on a P3 buck with complete P4 specs:- 36 valves, Lucas injection, wider wheels (than a P3) and Ferrari gearbox(?).
The second placed No 24 Parks/Scarfiotti car was a true P4 coupe.
The third place car of NART was a 412P. No 26 of Rodriguez/ Guichet.
You can tell factory name of 412P (privateer name P3/4) from a true P4 by the following external differences on the front nose there is one central duct for the 412P but two ducts for the P4. The bottom of the door is level with the bottom of the rear lid on the 412P. It is raised a couple of inches on the true P4. Remember the "works" P4 Spyder was in spyder form all of its life up until its crash at the 1967 Le Mans. The spyder at the 1967 BOAC 500 was a true P4 rebodied. I hope this helps. Great Photos though.
Regards Allan

Hi

Great Photo's

The # 23 Car was a P 3/4 chassis 0846. It was a factory entry made by modifying P3 0846 by shortening it's wheelbase from 2412mm to 2400mm, changing it's tail a bit and installing a P4 motor and gearbox.

The other Cars were P4 0856 and 412P 0844. The 412P was a customer version (NART) of the P3 that had carbs. instead of Lucas mechanical FI.

Attachments

• Large 0846.jpg
    Large 0846.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 332
Daniel:

I have started work on my 1967 Daytona 24 story for Sports Car Digest and would like to talk to you about what you remember about that race. Contact me at the address below when time permits.
Louis Galanos [email protected]

Hello everyone,
In the 9th picture, identifed as "Andretti and Ginther's car," at the back of the car what I call a 'hand jack' you can see is in use.

I have been searching the internet trying to find better pictures of these hand jacks in use. They were so common before Penske innovated internal hydraulic lifts on cars.

I would like to fabricate a replica hand jack to fit a GT40. Can anyone provide better pictures or approximate dimensions?

Best,
Wayne

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hello everyone,
In the 9th picture, identifed as "Andretti and Ginther's car," at the back of the car what I call a 'hand jack' you can see is in use.

I have been searching the internet trying to find better pictures of these hand jacks in use. They were so common before Penske innovated internal hydraulic lifts on cars.

I would like to fabricate a replica hand jack to fit a GT40. Can anyone provide better pictures or approximate dimensions?

Best,
Wayne

Actually, the on board jacks were in use before Penske. In fact, Shelby had them on the Daytona coupes at one point. I have a "quick jack" at the shop and will get some photos of it in the next couple of days.

Back