1TG Scratch Design & Build.

To revive the thread...

I'm using Solid Edge as I have legal access to it through work.

The flat glass stays as I mostly as I'm an awkward SOB, and anyone that don't like it can go scratch build their own car! :D

I wrote this up tonight it might be of some use to builders out there.

With the weather warming up now I'm aiming to crack on with more time in the shed.

You should be admired by everyone on this forum. The 1TG progress looks very well done, abiet some comments about flat windscreen. It's YOUR project, build it the way YOU wish! Simply my 2 cents worth.

Hi Doug,

Did you TIG weld the roll cage (4130?), and if so, fancy some light contract work? (I need to modify my roll cage - not much!)

Troy

Hi Troy,

I TIG welded the whole frame, the roll tubes are mild DOM. I've yet to get any experience on 4130 but my suspension parts will be made from the stuff so I need to get started on it sooner or later. I'll certainly come and have a look at it, coming to have a look at your car has been on my 'to do' list for way too long anyway.

Yes, that does look like some large amount of effort to tig weld it. I am glad to see you back at it and will be watching the thread as you progress. Keep it up.

Chip

16 Suspension brackets, each one took approximately FOREVER to make, one more tiny bite of the elephant eaten.

Attachments

• Brackets.jpg
    Brackets.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 492
A few more updates are on the web page...

On a more satisfying note, my 6yo daughter had a go at TIG welding at the weekend here's here 1st attempt, no filler required just run along the edge of the plate. Not bad I think I did give her a bit of a hand taking the weight of the torch, but basically she did it. The next job she did was to weld up the cracks in her sisters training wheels :thumbsup:
Welding.jpg

Hi Doug,

Maybe I'll contract your daughter to weld in my roll cage. Nice job!

Not wanting to thread drift, but I say it's never too early to get them involved. Here is my 2yo daughter lending a hand early on with the rear suspension.

Attachments

• 06042008526.jpg
    06042008526.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 525
simply to add a bit, my grandson's first word was not mama or daddy. It was "GARAGE". I almost fell over with laughter...

Come on guy's, why are you leaving it so late to get the kids started.

My 11 month old has been helping me with paint and polish on one of my other projects for the last month. Also, my 4 year old loves all the babes on the grid at race meets so decided she needed to practice looking good with the 40.

Attachments

• Kids help.jpg
    Kids help.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_2038 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2038 (Large).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 512
Hi Dave,

Yeah I've been thinking its about time to update my blog, I've been too busy on the car (and getting told off by the neighbors about the noise :rolleyes:).

I'll try and get that done in the next few days.

Back