5speed

Who makes the gtd40 5speed transmission? The second is difficult to enter. Please let us know if you have any suggestions for clutches.

EADE5631-1206-4ED6-B420-4FA0D1295D44.jpeg

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
To my eyes that looks like a Renault, UN1 transaxle. They were commonly used on GTD when GTD was producing these cars.

Ian

Hi,
before stripping the trans to diagnose the issue, ensure that the shift mechanism is in good condition, with no lost motion in the system, as this is and the shift linkage needing adjustment, being the likely reason for difficult gear selection
Regards,
Andy

Mike Pass

Supporter
UN1. There is usually a round metal tag on the end casing of the box. This idenfifies which box it is. eg 21 turbo box is UN1-013. I have a chart of UN1 boxes with source car, gear and final drive ratios etc. Also Renault UN1 manual and alternative clutch info.
The cable gear change mechanism is the original GTD one.
It would help if you post your location as any recommendations will depend on where you are.
Cheers
Mike

Hi,
before stripping the trans to diagnose the issue, ensure that the shift mechanism is in good condition, with no lost motion in the system, as this is and the shift linkage needing adjustment, being the likely reason for difficult gear selection
Regards,
Andy
Hello Andy,
Can you go into more detail on what to look for when checking the shift mechanism? I have a GTD with a UN1-13 that is hard to get into 1st. Seems like the gate is super tiny compared to the others.
Thanks
Robert

Hi Robert,

You will need a close examination of all the parts in the system. You are looking for any movement in a joint, bearing or lever that does not contribute to the movement of the gear selector. The easiest way is to lock the selector rod on the transmission (put it into a gear) and then move the gear-lever slightly to find the free play. Once this has been found and removed, by replacing rod-ends, bushes etc. the system can be then set up correctly. The key point here is to ensure that a gear ratio is correctly engaged before the gear lever hits the gate or any other stops

Hope this helps

Regards,

Andy

Back