917 parts resources?

Looks also that you got better skills and better kit parts that this french Guy !!! :rolleyes:
He his trying to built his 917 kit since september 2019 and is far away from your progress ...... !!!
keep on your good work ;)

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you put an 800HP+ motor in that car PLAN on spending $50K on the rest of the power train......at least................1000? ....you will wish you didn't. And you will have a $300K car you can't sell.

I seriously considered using a complete Cayman donor car to outfit a 917. The Cayman S's have 340HP and a PDK gearbox. IMHO that's PERFECT for a street-driven car and if you ran slicks it would be a very low lap time track car. Why a donor car? Because it is GOING TO BE A SYSTEMS PROJECT and I would want a running car and a working gearbox. I would have wanted a car with the nose knocked off.

However, it could be a cost savings way to go instead of a V8/adapted gearbox power train. Here are some examples of donor cars for sale. I think $20K would do it and that's less than an LS/Porsche power-trained modified to work in a 917.

And imagine taking that car to a Porsche club track day. Hell, you would get offers to buy it all day long.

Here are some current Cayman donor cars for sale. Note: don't buy a flooded/fire car.

Last edited:
If you put an 800HP+ motor in that car PLAN on spending $50K on the rest of the power train......at least................1000? ....you will wish you didn't. And you will have a $300K car you can't sell.

I seriously considered using a complete Cayman donor car to outfit a 917. The Cayman R's have 340HP and a PDK gearbox. IMHO that's PERFECT for a street-driven car and if you ran slicks it would be a very low lap time track car. Why a donor car? Because it is GOING TO BE A SYSTEMS PROJECT and I would want a running car and a working gearbox. I would have wanted a car with the nose knocked off.

However, it could be a cost savings way to go instead of a V8/adapted gearbox power train. Here are some examples of donor cars for sale. I think $20K would do it and that's less than an LS/Porsche power-trained modified to work in a 917.

And imagine taking that car to a Porsche club track day. Hell, you would get offers to buy it all day long.

Here are some current Cayman donor cars for sale. Note: don't buy a flooded/fire car.

pffft, I have a built 427 LS3 in my 917 making around 600 rwhp and I want moooooar power!

when I built my first car - FFR 65 cobra - the one thing I'm very glad that I ignored people on was them saying 'oh, it's a light car, you only need a 300hp 5.0 in it, that's plenty'. Pffffft to that I say - just learn how to modulate the throttle. If you stab it and crash and burn, that's on you.

Back