A/C Quit…need ideas

My 3 year old SPF was blowing cold air on one drive and hot air the next time I drove it. There was no tapering off of temperature like a leak so I checked all the fuses behind the fuse panel in the dash and even pulled the a/c switch control panel in the door to check the connections. I don‘t know which fuses control the a/c but all those in the dash were good. Are there any hidden fuses or switches I can check? Any ideas before I try to find someone to look at it?

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Keith Air Con is pretty simple stuff first check if the compressor activates when you switch on you should be able to hear it click in or you will notice engine idle change, if this is working then you will need to check the gas pressure in the lines if there has been a leak, it will require re gassing

Denis Bedford

Denis Bedford
Keith there should be two wires going into the plug on the A/C compressor one of which will read 12v between it and ground when the A/C is switched on, easy to check with a 12v globe and two wires or a multi meter if you do not get a reading here then you do have an electrical problem, if you get a reading then you almost certainly have a faulty compressor clutch

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
The temp control switch (turns the compressor on/off depending on the temp of the evaporator coil) are a known weak link. If you don’t have power to the AC clutch that is the first place i would check.

Back