Acceptable lifter bore wear on a 302

Hi,

I am in the process of getting my 1971 block ready for boring out and some other work and noticed some wear marks in the lifter bores. The block is on a standard cylinder bore size and the crank that came out was on standard mains and 0.010 big ends which were done recently and not run since (then i bought it).

Do these look like acceptable wear marks?? I have measured the bores with a bowers bore mic on all 16 and they are coming in at around 0.87598 (compared to 0.875 new) but its the vertical marks i am worried about, this is not on all of them either.

Cheers
Spike

Attachments

• IMG-0935.JPG
    IMG-0935.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 284
As long as the new lifters slide freely in the bores should be fine, that looks like a 'historic' wear mark perhaps from a previous cam issue.

If your intending to replace with another flat tappet cam you should really, really, really look into grooving the lifter bores so that oil is squirted on the cam lobe just prior to contact with the lifter, also helps with roller cams.

Jac Mac i was actually looking into bore grooving last night as id like to do anything to prevent any further damage, i will hopefully be going roller cam but everythig helps right.... the prices on the tool seem to vary and comp cams and summit have no stock atm, do you know of anywhere else in the US as i cant find a supplier in the UK?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Spike, if you were in the states, I would let you borrow mine. I have the .842, .875, and the.904 tools.

Regards Brian

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have the Comp Cams one, and it is a nice tool. I then do a very light hone with a ball hone to knock off any burrs. When using the ball hone, just do a quick in and out so you don't oversize the bore. I usually use ATF as a lubricant, or honing oil.

Regards
Brian

I cant help with pricing, since our predecessors sent us out to the antipodes to drop off our aussie cuzzies before settling in NZ we have turned our skills to 'fettling' anything that would otherwise have to imported from the homelands.

Back