Alternative engine choices

In a GT40 world that appears to be filled predominantly with SBF engines, I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on possible newer alternative engine setups out there that might be more suitable for daily city use, namely engines with improved fuel economy, emission standards, and which would have no problem meeting legal db limits.

I realize the absurdity of this question, but for me streetability would be the essential factor in determining whether I would purchase a GT40 down the road. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a howling 302 much as the next person, but I am by no means a mechanic, and I would consider it a shame for such a nice car to be collecting dust in anyone's garage, let alone my own.

I am aware that Ford has come out with a new 5.0 Cammer. Has anyone tried this or something similar in a GT40? I was also wondering if anyone has successfully put a corvette engine into a GT40. The new 400hp LS2 engine in the latest vette claims to go 0-60 in 4.2s while burning 19 mpg in the city & 28 mpg on the highway with 6-speed manual transmission, which IMHO, is very efficient. I can't wait to see the numbers on the next Z06 engine.

Again, any info on alternative engine setups would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob K

Interesting that you should ask this.
I will probably be booed off the board but anyway here goes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I am currently considering tossing my Windsor and using a Nissan FJ20 turbo' modified to around 500bhp.
These engines are capable of and easily modified to make big numbers with standard internals and aren't terribly hard to make clean.
They're also pretty economical when off boost and with an EBC I can dial the power I need within reason.

The pic' is of a dry sump FJ that's just sitting around at a friends place doing nothing.

Oh well, there go all my new found friends... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tim.

Attachments

• 42934-FJ20DET.jpg
    42934-FJ20DET.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 346
Tim,

You asked for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BOOO! HISS!

That's worse than blasphemy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bill

Oh dear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif A 4 pot in a GT40? Next thing we'll have someone mention the "R" word. Any Mazda fans out there?

Ron Earp

Admin
Don't do it!!!!

Put turbos on the Windsor instead. It'll make a lot more power than the four banger.

The initial question is yes, there are cars with mod Ford motors but it is a tight fit. Roaring Forties has done at least one and I think GT40 Australia has too, those fellows have to be innovative since they're trying to comply with regulations.

And TimOz40 - the rotary has already been done. Lone Star make a GT40 replica (sort of, body was wrong) that used one. I like the motors, but they are out of place in a 40.

Thanks Ron & roaldin. And a happy belated birthday BTW, Ron!

Perhaps Robert Logan or someone who's jammed a mod into an RF or DRB might be able to chip in on this thread.

Thanks again, and keep it coming!

Rob

Sticking with alternatives to Fords for the moment.
The 4 litre Lexus engine wouldn't be a bad choice.
I have a friend who is trying to get a Nissan VH45 into a GT40 but it's a pretty tight fit.
Both of those would be easier than a SBF to keep clean and economical.
I would like to do a GT40 with a DFV in it but I think some of your criteria might be a tad difficult to meet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I know where I can get a nice Ferrari V8, that might be fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tim.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Tim,
Hmmm ?
Regarding the Lexus idea.
There were some posts a while ago from some of the Aussie guys discussing fitting the Lexus.
Maybe it's worth a go but the trannie fit up might be a problem.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Rotary? Not only would the engine area look ridiculous in a GT40 even if a 3 rotor were in there but the 1300cc engine would not perform well at all. I currently run a Cosmo\Turbo\485hp (rear wheel)in a sand rail. The powerband is to high in the rpm range to be any fun in a GT40.

Ron Earp

Admin
Roaldin, I find it hard to believe that you can beat a Ford or Chevy V8 for cost, power production, simplicity, and size. With 7 liter (and larger) SBs available making over 600hp if wanted in a much smaller package than any overhead cam V8/V6 for not much over $6000 - $7000 I'm not sure how to beat it.

That may be but the title of the thread is "Alternative engine choices". Stepping outside the square is something I occasionally do when coming up with alternatives... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Stipulated were driveability, economy, low emissions and noise. Cost, power, simplicity and size I treated as secondary issues.
The Ferrari was just a joke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
There are at least a couple of Lexus engines out there with transaxles behind them to my knowledge. I was attempting to provide ideas within the parameters provided, not design the installation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Any alternative to the SBF has it's problems and I'm guessing that fitting a "mod" has a couple of problems of it's own.
And hey, I might have said "Nissan" and "Ferrari" but it wasn't me who said "Chev'". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FWIW I think the GT40 should have a SBF in it unless it's a MK11 but occasionally there is a reason to try something different.
I won't get in to the old school V8 vs multivalve turbo' thing but I have a couple of the latter that go ok.

At least I didn't say "rotary"... shudder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Tim.

Ron Earp

Admin
Re:

Sorry, didn't read SBF in your post when I was editing and something happened during the re-post - I think because we were both in the post at the same time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I asked why the MKII was different to roaldin when I mis-interpreted what he had written, my bad. Clearly, he felt that MKII should have motors other than SBF which I completely agree with - 427FE's and varations of such.

Ron

Deleted the post eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Well that makes a nonsense of my reply then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tim.

Ron Earp

Admin
CAn you get another link for the GSXR cart? Would like to see it! I've build a burbo turbine as shown in the cart post, although we just built it to make noise and didn't do anything with it. Cool stuff!

Back