Alternative engine choices

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on possible newer alternative engine setups out there that might be more suitable for daily city use, namely engines with improved fuel economy, emission standards, and which would have no problem meeting legal db limits.

I realize the absurdity of this question, but for me streetability would be the essential factor in determining whether I would purchase a GT40 down the road. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a howling 302 much as the next person, but I am by no means a mechanic, and I would consider it a shame for such a nice car to be collecting dust in anyone's garage, let alone my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, if you use a stock fuel injected 5.0 H.O. from a mustang, there is no reason that it should be collecting dust in your garage, have poor fuel economy or pollute the air.

The people with maintenence issues are running very wild combinations and make a lot of power. Every engine built is a collection of compromises, a stock 5.0 compromises power for low end torque and durability. Race engines compromise the other way.

With that out of the way, here are a couple possibilities. The 3.8 liter engine used in the 2004 mustang is pretty sophisticated for an OHV v6, I think it has the same bellhousing pattern as a 5.0. It's a shorter engine, but I don't think that should cause too many problems. It was also available with a supercharger in the T-bird SC.

If you want the least ammount of assembly difficulty, Ford made some small bore v8 blocks in the early 80's. If you combine one of those blocks with a 289 crank, you will get a very small displacement v8 that should bolt right in to a GT40. I think you would need a set of custom pistons to make that work and the low end torque would be pretty weak.

The ford Modular motors have been done, so you would not have to reinvent the wheel. I don't know if the 4 cam engines were used. These engines never had a solid advantage over the 5.0 in the mustang. They are bigger, they have less parts available for them, they are harder to work on, and it's harder to make power with them. The 4 valve motors made good power, but a 5.0 with aftermarket heads, intake and cam is right there with it. Ford suposedly dropped the 5.0 for emissions reasons, but with the smog pump and cats, they run very clean.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't do it!!!!

Put turbos on the Windsor instead. It'll make a lot more power than the four banger.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to the others so upset by my heresy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don't worry, it was only a fleeting consideration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The question came up smack in the middle of a frustrating moment.
There appear to be some breathing issues with my Windsor but they shouldn't be too big a deal to sort out.

The FJ20 has long been one of my favourite engines so it's like an old friend but it's not the kind of thing I'd do to my GT40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tim.

[ QUOTE ]
Roaring Forties has done at least one

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. Holding tongue firmly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Sounds like a great idea for those of us with emmissions issues.

Ron Earp

Admin
[quoteThe FJ20 has long been one of my favourite engines so it's like an old friend but it's not the kind of thing I'd do to my GT40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I understand. The Ford SB is that way to me, so you can see why I said what I did! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am taking a liking to the Lotus turbo four, similar to the one you like. Have one in my Esprit and it has good power and seems to take abuse. I've got the same motor in the Jensen Healey too, less turbo, and they are good little motors for a 33 year old design. 4 valve design, rare for those days, and shim on bucket valve operation that allows it to rev well - again, for a 33 year old motor.
Ron

Rob DRB in Aust have a 4.6 Mustang engine in a car at their workshop almost ready for delivery,might be worth a look. Also I have driven a RF GT40 with a Lexus and it was very impressive. There is a DRB in Queensland that had a 302 windsor but has had a Lexus recently fitted, the owner told me it goes better, handles better, (lighter) never gets hot in traffic,and uses less fuel. I am not pushing any particular engine just passing on information I have not made my engine decission yet, I live in NSW see, (Peter Delaney's problems) I might move to Qld.

Any engine can be made quiet, that's just a matter of fitting good mufflers. Similarly, most fuel-injected engines can be very emissions friendly when outfitted with catalytic converters. While they take up precious room in the engine bay, cats also reduce exhaust noise.

Given that noise and emissions can be managed, you should focus your engine alternatives analysis on the mills that are both light and small. The Chevy LS1 or LS6 can be had inexpensively and will make an honest 320 hp in completely stock configuration, cats and all. Having aluminum blocks, they are light. Being an OHV design, they are relatively small.

Others have used the Rover (aka Buick) aluminum-block V8.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
The aluminium V8 Rover engine has been discontinued recently so could probably be picked up at a reasonable cost.

Ron Earp

Admin
This topic came up a long time ago with some nice pictures showing size differences. If that Lexus V8 goes better, then the Ford motor needs building and a good engine management system. You can build an all aluminum SB Ford that is lighter, smaller, and makes more power than the Lexus V8.

The Lexus engine in this F40 copy from NZ seems to go ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif (scroll down for video).
Mind you it is turbo'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
The Lexus engine is reputed (received knowledge) to have very strong internals so doesn't require much help down below.

Tim.

[ QUOTE ]
The aluminium V8 Rover engine has been discontinued recently so could probably be picked up at a reasonable cost.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Rover V8 is still in production, Land Rover have handed manufacturing rights to Mitchell Cotts Transmissions, who sell them to Land Rover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Strange old world innit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HI Guys, noticed your discussion re alternative motor, i am building a countach replica, with a lexus 1uzfe and audi 016 gear box,just had an adapter and flywheel made up no problem at all, a 1uzfe is stock at 300hp 500-600 is fairly easy to get only weighs about 200kg, all alloy 6 bolt mains quad cams 32 valves,what more could you need, for high horse power all you need is money, have a look at this post on the Lextreme forum http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1690
Regards GraemeS

Back