Aluminum Plate over Engine in Superformance GT40MKII

Hi:
I still have in place the large aluminum plate that attaches to the inside of the rear clamshell and runs below the window on my Superformance GT40MKII. It comes down to cover the engine (there's a cutout around the air cleaner). I am thinking about removing it, but have learned to ask, first, whether anyone knows exactly what this plate is supposed to do?

Thanks!

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Chri. Pictures would be great, but it sounds like a heat shield to help protect the fiberglass and paint from the engine heat . I’m sure someone will chime in but a picture would help.

Regards Brian

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
We have had customers remove this to show off the engine as well as replace it with clear Plexi. It is intended to block heat and keep cooler air fri=om the upper scoops in the engine compartment.

Chri. Pictures would be great, but it sounds like a heat shield to help protect the fiberglass and paint from the engine heat . I’m sure someone will chime in but a picture would help.

Regards Brian
Thanks! When I am in my office tomorrow I will send one as it's easier to work off my main computer.

Regards,

/s/ Chris

Bill Kearley

Supporter
How hot can it get in your area? I ran with this in slow traffic for about two hours at 90 deg. without a problem

Attachments

• GOPR0706.JPG
    GOPR0706.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 255
  • GOPR0760.JPG
    GOPR0760.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 261
  • GOPR0763.JPG
    GOPR0763.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 266
  • GOPR0764.JPG
    GOPR0764.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 256
  • GOPR0766.JPG
    GOPR0766.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 258
  • GOPR0767.JPG
    GOPR0767.JPG
    405.9 KB · Views: 261
Thanks! When I am in my office tomorrow I will send one as it's easier to work off my main computer.

Regards,

/s/ Chris
Here are the pictures I promised. The first picture is of the plate looking through the rear window, while the second is of the plate looking up at it with the clamshell open. As far as its purpose being heat protection, one issue there is that the plate basically attaches at the base of the window and does not extend to the rear to actually protect the fiberglass. Also, this is the only Superformance MKII I have seen with this plate, so why aren't there bunches of cars around with burned fiberglass? I suspect Rick Muck is correct that its purpose is to keep air coming in from the upper scoops cooler, but the plate would block this air falling over the engine, unless it is intended to keep the air going into the air cleaner cooler. I appreciate all your thoughts (you may have to rotate these pictures as they may come in upside down).

Thanks!
/s/ Chris Kennedy

Attachments

• IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1085 (1).jpg
    IMG_1085 (1).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1085 (1).jpg
    IMG_1085 (1).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 204

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Do you have a Mk II? That's how they were built.

The Mk I's had a piece above the carbs to protect from heat, back-splatter, etc from the carbs. The Mk II's were simply built that way.

I wouldn't replace that with plexi as it's too close to heat sources and would likely sag and then potentially ignite. I think everyone's prior comments assumed you had a Mk I.

Do you have a Mk II? That's how they were built.

The Mk I's had a piece above the carbs to protect from heat, back-splatter, etc from the carbs. The Mk II's were simply built that way.

I wouldn't replace that with plexi as it's too close to heat sources and would likely sag and then potentially ignite. I think everyone's prior comments assumed you had a Mk I.
Thanks!

16 years with P2120 a MKII. The metal plate was removed during the build and replaced with plastic by Olthoff. No issues at all. Just another data point.

Thanks! Dennis Olthoff built out my car and mentioned that he had forgotten to ask me if I wanted the plate taken off as many people did want it off. At that time I didn't want to tinker with it, as I basically knew very little about the car. Given the lack of a shop manual for these cars that might explain things, I have found myself calling High Tech Automotive in South Africa, and one time I spoke with the head of engineering on an issue. Perhaps I need to do that again.

Regards and thanks,

/s/ Chris

Back