AM GT1 Sale

AMGT1 up for auction P1033WorldRegistryOfCobras&GT40s-AMGT40-1.jpg

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Out of curiosity, if the body was all alloy but the chassis was still steel, how much weight was saved with the alloy body???

Yes the car is for sale in Australia how did you know that. Or the lid on the scanner only opens so far and the book is almost four inches thick and cost $200 , so you can't scan it like a $5 magazine. But I thought it would be good to provide some more information and show people what a good book it is .

Ron McCall

Supporter
Here's a picture that I took of that car in Carlisle Pa last summer. (My car is the dark blue one just behind it.)

Ron

Attachments

• 20200801_170303.jpg
    20200801_170303.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 384
I think this thread is trying to cover three different cars AMGT1 (auction) AMGT2 (owned in Europe I believe) which were both around in the 1960s and what may be an FIA Superformance (?) currently carrying the Mann colors

Rick

Supporter
There's a good thread at the SAAC forum right now an the Rex Meyers AM GT1, which is the car going to auction at Pebble beach. I 've watched some post from Rex over the last year on various Facebook groups in amazement how often he participated in local cruses, cars and coffee, etc. Its wonderful he made the car so accessible but I wondered how you would insure such a valuable car.

The panel with the D ribs looks like steel to me because of no rivets there would be over a hundred on each side of the car. IMG_20210703_233041_196.JPG I think this is the panel you are talking about.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I read in an on line article from legendary collector cars Dec 2 2019 that the aluminum body cars were 150LBS lighter .
Considering my fibreglass front and rear clips together likely weigh little more than 150lbs, the weight saving must largely come in other areas. Extra holes in the mono? Did they have an alloy roof?

Yes Brian 150LBS can't just be from the body , I don't know where they got the information from but that's what it says I can't be the only one that read it . Yes aluminum roof , doors maybe 22ga steel instead of 20ga in a few places. We probably will never know.

Side note, a good friend of mine drove AM GT2 back in the day (1969 & 70 from memory) for Escuderia Montjuich with the team owner. I believe they got the car from Paul Hawkins.

I've heard some amazing stories about that car.

Attachments

• images.jpeg-11.jpg
    images.jpeg-11.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 268
Back