Anyone know much about Granada rear hubs?

Hi Darrin:

There should be numbers etched into the bearings and race. If You find the numbers any local bearing supply should be able to get them. You could google dalton bearing or motion industries. The assemblies look the same as scorpio stuff I have. Regards Dave

Hi Darrin:

There should be numbers etched into the bearings and race. If You find the numbers any local bearing supply should be able to get them. You could google dalton bearing or motion industries. The assemblies look the same as scorpio stuff I have. Regards Dave

I couldn't see any at all on the inner ring and I couldn't get the outer to come out. I got the plastic retainer between the inner and outer ring, the roller bearings themselves, and the inner ring out but the outer is still inside with the seal.

Last edited:
I have a set in my store.

Can you tell me what the part number is Frank? I imagine shipping from the UK would be pretty cost prohibitive. I can cross reference a part to something in the US if I have the number or at least get the specs from it to match up to something here in the US.

Thanks!

See attached pics. Bearing number Timken JXC18437CA, FRANK

Attachments

• DSCF1213.JPG
    DSCF1213.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF1216.JPG
    DSCF1216.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 250
I've removed stubborn bearings before by putting a weld all the way around the inside of the bearing face - when it cools it shrinks and usually it will just push out.
there are a few youtube video's of doing it - here's the first I found....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvhGoYdrKxU]Part 2 Steering Stem Race Removal-Welding.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

From the number than Frank gave me (JXC18437CA/Y32008XZ) I was able to get to the manufacture's site.

It looks like the bore size is 35 and the outside diameter of 62.

Looking at the SET24, that model number is: JL68145/JL68111 and has the same bore size but the outside diameter is only 60 so I don't think it will work.

Still trying to find a place in the US to buy the JXC18437CA/Y32008XZ.

This is absolutely insane.

Supposedly, the Merkur Scorpio sold in the US in 1988 is the same car as the Granada Mk3 sold in the UK.

If you look up the rear wheel bearings for the Merkur Scorpio it will show Timken LM29749/LM29710.

If you look up those sizes (Timken LM29749/LM29710,Timken LM29749/LM29710 Bearings-ERIC Bearings) though it will show that they are different from the ones than Frank sells for the Granada Mk3. I'm thinking maybe the US car was different after all and may just have to import the stinking things.

Darrin
Not to confuse you here is the photo of my hubs and bearing carrier and stub shaft from the 1989 Merkur Scorpio . I removed them myself so I am sure.
I put a micrometer on the part of the hub where the bearing goes which would be bearing ID. 1.613 " or 41mm I also have a set of hubs from the uk I bought of ebay. They are the same. Frank says he has them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Thanks Dave!

What you are showing is my part for sure, and the dimensions you give are what NAPA shows here: NAPA AUTO PARTS

Autozone has the SET24 with different dimensions, but if you look closely although they say it's for the rear in one area when you go into details it says it's for the front and I think that's what part of the confusion is. They need to fix that.

Anyway, I will stop in Autozone first as it's closer and see if their online reference shows the right size even if their website doesn't and then try NAPA if needed. If all of that fails I'll just buy it from UK and wait on it. :)

If you are still stuck, just send a postal address for delivery, Frank

Thanks Frank. I should know tomorrow.

As suspected, Autozone has SET24 only and it's showing up as both front and rear in their system. Given the specs on this thread and various sites, SET24 seems to be wrong for the rear (but it might be correct for the front). I called Summit (a big parts place here in the US) to see if they had it but they didn't, so they gave me the number for Timken. I have a message in with them now. If I find out that there are still bearings for it here in the US, I'll post the numbers and cross references here for other folks.

Darrin:
I believe you are in good hands with Frank, if you are still stuck shoot me a PM as I have access to two local bearing guys here locally, and the one has a ton of NOS stuff laying around.
Cheers
Phil

Just sent him an email. Probably best to get it from him as you say. Thanks to Bill for the offer (didn't want to put you to all the trouble).

I'll post what I find out from Timken if they get back to me so others can buy in the US in the future.

Back