Anyone with Porsche 956/962 experience?

Seeing as members of this forum own/work on or have worked on some exotic and rare race cars,I would like to post a question to anyone who has worked on Porsche 956 or 962 transmissions.I was told recently that 962 internals were of 930 decent and using the hubs,sliders and gears of the later 962s in my 930 box would effectively give me the "dog box" I desire.This sems all too easy to me.I feel if this were true then it would be a populer mod for anyone racing with this gearbox.A reliable Porsche source stated that the 956/962 trans was in fact an evolution of the G50/52 and therefor totally diferent inside.Also I thought Porsche still used syncros in the 962 until the end of production.Anyone care to elaborate??????I am looking for options to convert my 930 box to "dog style" change as I don't have it in the buget for a hewland DGB or VGC.I know Albins in AUS. have a conversion,but I can find no feedback on the quality or performance of their product(also the only gears they can provide are helically cut and not straight cut).
HELP!
Dave D.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dave,

In a Porsche transaxle where the gears are mounted directly on the pinion shaft the helical cut cut gears counteract pinion end thrust. In this case, IMHO, helical is better than straight.

I was planning on going Albins dogbox later on but I don't have any info on quality or performance. However being Ozzie made I would have no worries about either.

Cheers,

Back