Are there any SL-C's in Southern California?

I'd love to see one in person and talk to the builder. I'd love to see how different the build is compared to my Ultima GTR.

Paul

Paul,

the cars in Cali. are far from stock SL-C builds...although you will meet cool guys and see what an SLC is all about you will not get the "off the shelf " feel or the simplicity of the original build....take a trip to Michigan and see them en mass...

Absolutely Fran and thank you for the invitation. This is precisely why I'd like to see these other cars. One of my frustrations with Ultima was that I found out about all the non-standard options almost by accident (England was a bit too far for me to travel for a visit). So as we all know, the build plan on these projects is super important. For example, one of the most frustrating aspects of my Ultima was navigating driveways without turning the front clip into a bulldozer. Had I known of the lift kits available, I would have added it during the build. Adding things afterward can often mean disassembling the car (adding substantial time to the build) to get to this one improvement. I'd like not make that mistake again if I can help it. Fortunately, the RCR website is being improved and this will help make the planning & buying process much better. Although the Ultima guys were very helpful, they are just too far away to make that phone consultation practical. I should add that a huge advantage RCR has over the Ultima is shipping costs. Another "add-on" that I bought was front and rear tow hooks. The hooks were reasonable enough, but the shipping was ridiculous.

So, since I'm in the planning process, it would be great if the So Cal guys would allow me the opportunity to come to see their builds in process.

Last edited:
Paul,
As far as I know there are NO SLCs in SoCal (yet). There are three in NorCal and as Fran stated none are standard builds....... We are all deviants....

Hey Mesa,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know of any build sites guys are creating to show off their project?
Paul

Hi Paul,
Where are you in San Diego? I'm in Encinitas. Did you ever get to see any SLC builds up close? I've got an early ('71) 911 hotrod 2200 lbs 300 hp, not the hp / wt of these builds, but not bad. I built it up from the tub years ago and am thinking of a new project. SLC seems outstanding. Wouldn't mind checking out your Ultima if you are open to it? I will bring the beers or water or whatever.

cheers,

Doug

Hi Doug,
Cool. I live over by La Costa Canyon HS in Carlsbad. We're only a few miles from each other. I sold my GTR a few years ago but haven't seen an SLC in person yet. I'm busy finishing my '68 Camaro and am having a lot of fun driving it and looking forward to the great weather soon to start taking some nice road trips. How serious are you about building an SLC?

Paul

Hey Mesa,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know of any build sites guys are creating to show off their project?
Paul

You have probably figured it out by now, but Howard and I have build logs in the SLC subsection of the forum. "SLC 001 Build" - The least stock build of them all, but hope you enjoy anyway.

Back