audi 016 & 01E sideshaft flanges

I am busy with some modifications to my ford 302: changing from an older 5 speed 016 audi petrol gearbox to a newer 6 speed 01E tdi gearbox, & almost done with all the minor conversions, except for the cv joints onto the gearbox / side-shaft flanges, & here’s where I need help!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
The problem is this: the 016 box has smaller standard cv joints connecting the side-shafts onto the gearbox flanges (existing setup) & the 01E box has slightly bigger gearbox flanges (new setup) which take what’s called tri-hedral joints. My current cv’s don’t fit, slightly too small for the new box’s flanges.<o:p></o:p>
The question: has anyone had this challenge & is there an easy (cheap) way around it? It’s either ripping out all the existing stuff (side-shafts & cv’s) or making billet or transfer plates to go onto the new box’s flanges. Whatever, I’d like to hear - & if you have pictures, even better.<o:p></o:p>
Much appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
Cheers.<o:p></o:p>

Hi Joe,

the side shafts are interchangeable between O1E and O16 but the O1E trans is narrower so we use a 20mm thick adaptor between the std (104 or 114 PCD) O1E flange and the CV, we also have to use a shorter driveshaft on the LHS because of the C&P offset.

If you find a cheap easy way around this please let me know !

Cheers PB

Back