Audi 2.5 TDI 01E gearbox

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but so far have got a lot of very useful info with regards to transaxles. Thank you.

I am building a road car, its going to be a first in the world (engine wise I hope). Im not going to mention the manufacturer or engine used but it will be mid engine, rear wheel drive with 650 BHP and 650 lb ft torque. The car is not going to be used up the 1/4 mile or drag starts but will be driven on the road/track quite hard.

When complete I will do a full write up with pics and videos.

Does anyone have any experience with the 01E 6 speed manual boxes found on 2.5 TDI Audi's? Gearbox code AEK.

I know a lot of the Audi S2 boys use these boxes with 700+bhp on slicks up the 1/4 mile running standard internals. The boxes they use are the Quattro version. Does anyone know if the internals are different?

Ben

Contact Scott at Advanced Automotion for information about the 01E. I have converted them to cable shift for mid-engine use. Send me a PM and I can send you some photos.

I did like this !

Attachments

• bild_4_1.jpg
    bild_4_1.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 12,107
Very neat, looks like the cable shift is very practical then. I am planning to change my 016 in my GT to an 01_E due to the benefit of better ratios.

I am building a road car, its going to be a first in the world (engine wise I hope). Im not going to mention the manufacturer or engine used but it will be mid engine, rear wheel drive with 650 BHP and 650 lb ft torque. The car is not going to be used up the 1/4 mile or drag starts but will be driven on the road/track quite hard.

Does anyone have any experience with the 01E 6 speed manual boxes found on 2.5 TDI Audi's? Gearbox code AEK.

I know a lot of the Audi S2 boys use these boxes with 700+bhp on slicks up the 1/4 mile running standard internals. The boxes they use are the Quattro version. Does anyone know if the internals are different?

The internals are different from the 2 wheel drive version to the 4 wheel drive version. Also the 4 wheel drive version of the 01E is quite a bit stronger in the diff area due to the front diff only seeing a percentage of the torque (the remainder goes to the rear).

The two gearboxes share the same input shaft, but the output shaft differ amongst the two.

Running an 01E at 650 ft/lbs is on the edge of what I would say is it's safe capacity. It will be okay as long as your gentle with it, however I've seen crown gears chip and first gears erode if abused with that kind of power.

Keep in mind there are several issues that need to be addressed with the 01E, the factory syncros are marginal unless updated and the pinion bearings are frequently bad.

I offer re-manufactured units if you opt for one of those.

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but after the 01E prefix, is there a better number to go for. My box is 01E 3012110.
There seems to be a lot of misinformation due to hearsay, regarding these boxes.

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but after the 01E prefix, is there a better number to go for. My box is 01E 3012110.
There seems to be a lot of misinformation due to hearsay, regarding these boxes.

That number is just the casting/part number for the transmission case.

You need the actual transmission code which is inscribed onto the underside of the diff housing nearest the diff cover.

The code will be like CBD 123456 or 123456FDP

Or if you're lucky, the transmission part number will be printed on a long narrow label affixed to the top of the housing i.e. 01E 300 047K; When cross referenced, the code is FRK.

Andys

Attachments

• 01E2.JPG
    01E2.JPG
    579.6 KB · Views: 10,031
Hello to All,

Im new to the forum from Spain, and im building a kitcar (imposible to find parta in Spain) Im currently using the Audi 01E gearbox with a duratec engine, but I would like to find the cable linckages and gear leaver ( as attached) for a rear wheel drive position. I can only find full kits that cost a bomb, just looking for the leavers.

Any ideas of were I could purchase them?
Sorry for getting in the way with with a different topic, didnt think it would be good to create a new one for this.

Thanks to all.

Regards,
Piero

Attachments

• 20201023_203711.jpg
    20201023_203711.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 2,355
  • Screenshot_20201023-202401_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-202401_Samsung Internet.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,431
Back