audi 5 to 6 speed conversion?

hi again all you audi trans users. lifted my engine & gearbox this morning & it's off to the doc, where we'll open up to see where the problem(s) lies. we'll firstly check that all's ok on the engine & make improovements where we can, get the rev counter sorted, & then see if we can't get things better on the gearbox - that 016 you've all become familiar with!

with all of this in mind, you'll see that i've had some time to think again, dangerous! anyway, here's the question & i think i've come accross something on the forum, just not sure where.

can one convert a 016 manual 5 speed to a 6 speed box? & if anyone's done this then please pass some info.

thanks all, cheers from a cold & windy cape town.

I don't think you can convert the 016 box itself to a 6 speed but you could bolt in an 01E or 01x in its place. I have heard conflicting reports as to whether this is a direct bolt in or if you need a different adapter plate.

It's impossible to convert a 016 from 5 to 6 speeds. I'm not sure why you would want to there are a lot of newer already 6 speed transmissions out there.

I don't think you can convert the 016 box itself to a 6 speed but you could bolt in an 01E or 01x in its place. I have heard conflicting reports as to whether this is a direct bolt in or if you need a different adapter plate.

The 016 bolts pattern is pre-drilled on the VAG 01E's. You however do have make adjustments for the axles and the clutch assembly.

From old tread:

Attachments

• 016_.jpg
    016_.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 01E_.jpg
    01E_.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 363
Back