Audi OA2 Getrag 6 speed

I have a Getrag OA2 type 6 speed Audi transaxle. Can anyone help identify it ?
It appears to be about 20% bulkier in the mid section than the 01E's i have.
The bellhousing seems to be the same pattern as the 01X and the 01E but overall it appears to be more bulky than them and i would guess that the gears are larger.

It is all alloy case similar to the 01X

All help appreciated.....thanks

If you can give me the code off the bottom Mark I'll be able to tell you what it is from. its far easier to look that code up you see.

Cheers,
John.

Here is a pic showing the 4 types in a line, as you can see the 0A2 is larger.
Types from left to right.
01X 6 speed. 0A2 six speed, 01E 6 speed, 01E 6 speed 4X4.

All the bellhousings and input shafts appear to be the same.

fd_1_sbl.JPG

That's a useful picture, Mark. Thanks!

I suspect that the 01X and / or 0A2 are 6-speed replacements for the 5-speed 012, which also had an aluminum gearbox cover. The 016 and 01E use cast iron gearbox covers, and I think that may be a good indicator of how strong they are, as those input- and main-shaft bearing collars can take some pretty big loads.

Does anyone know what the gear ratios are in the O1X and OA2 transaxles? It would be interesting to compare them to the 016. Also what are the comparative strength ratings between these different transaxles? Are these only available from Europe? I haven't heard of any applications for them here in the States.

01X is not a box we`ve seen so I`m unable to comment on it (but this is often a good sign, if we`ve never seen a particular gearbox it`s either quiet new, quiet rare, or it`s very good in the application it works in), but Mark has hit the nail on the head, 02A is just a later generation 6 speed version of the 012 and should be viewed the same way in regard to suitability behind powerful V8s.

How would the 012 compare to the 016 in strength? I am thinking that if the very low first gear in the 016 is a problem then maybe the 012 or 0A2 could be used with first gear blocked out and the transaxle would still be a 5 speed.

Having difficulty with that code Mark.

First look indicates that it might be from a late Golf but I'm trying to confirm this, along with ratios.

Once I know for sure I'll post them up.

The gearbox code GHA was fitted to A4 between 06 2003 and 12 2003 - and was also fitted to the Passat.

It is a 6 speed manual box.

I'm still working on the gear ratios and exactly which model of A4 / Passat.

Back