Audi transaxle numbers

Charlie M

Supporter
Are the identification numbers on the Audi 016 transaxles visible while the trans is still in the car?

Thanks,
Charlie

As far as I know, they only stamped the flat top of the bell
housing, close to the engine. Usually corroded so bad
you have to wire brush the top to read it.
Never looked under the hood of an Audi...might be enough
space to sneak in there.

MikeD

Mike,
They are visible but you will have to clean it with a small wire brush on some of them. If the car is really dirty under the hood then I pass it by as that is a real good indication that the car was not taken care of and most likely it was abused.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charlie M

Supporter
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking for a used transaxle and I wanted to know what I'm looking for before I head off to the salvage yards.

Charlie

Hi Charlie - Suggest that when you go to the boneyard to look for a transaxle you take a printout of the 016 ratio codes linked in the earlier post as well as a piece of scotchbrite as it will come in handy for cleaning up the ratio code so that you can read it. The ratio code is located at the top of the bell housing just behind the cylinder block and in front of the firewall. Very easy to find. I got my 016 from a boneyard in Mass. It came from a 5000 5 cylinder turbo gasoline car. I think it was a 1987. It has ratio code "AFC" which has a .73 5th gear and a 3.89 final (ring & pinion). Most will tell you that first gear is virtually useless (except for stump pulling) on all 016s as it is too low at 3.60. The best ratio set is the "3U" as it combines the 3.89 ring & pinion with a .64 5th gear thus giving the highest top end, but it was reportedldy not imported to the US so chances of finding one at the local bone yard are not good. There were at least two more turbo gasoline Audis at the same bone yard where I got mine, but when I went back to get the transaxles the cars were gone - most likely crushed as the steel prices had risen so high in the past year or so the operators decided to cash in and just started crushing every car in the palce. Hope this helps. Best regards, Orin Meyer

Charlie M

Supporter
Orin,

I'll definitely take that ratio chart with me when I go to look at transaxles. The cars these units are in are getting pretty old now, Im hoping they are not becoming scarce.

Thanks,
Charlie

Back