Axles - floating or not?

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Cliff,
no problem will provide any info

It is apparent from above thread content that the 930 CV is intended to have movement between the inner race and the outer race and looking at the images the CV is in essence a tripod joint with three pairs of 2 balls. i.e. not a true CV.

Hi Guys
Just to through in a curve ball. Those of you living in Aussie have you tried Holden Comodore CV's They are the same bolt pattern, look identical to the OEM G50. I have used heavy duty SS Comodore and they bolt staight up to my G50. They are a tight fit on to the splined axle and plunge in the CV. I have heard, but not been able to find them here in NZ, that early Holden Statesmen have CV's that plunge at both ends and are the right length.
Woody

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
PAGE 7 - OF THE GKN PDF.

right hand side are plunging joints as does a tripod joint, the form may be different , just a variation on a theme so to speak.

LHS of page is True CV joint. A true CV joint has no plunge facility and if using this type then axles MUST float

All,

Just to make things ultra confusing or interesting(?) - in the backwards and forwards discussion with the axle supplier, he went aheead and freed up clearance on the axles so now I have 930 CVs which are designed to float in themselves also now floating nicely on the axle!!

I'll let you know in a year or so whether this gives any problems in service.

Thanks for your help, and good tip about the commodore CVs too.

Cheers, Andrew

Axle feedback requested; I have the axles similar to the pics in this thread, and am in the process of setting the engine and trans position in my GT. I have an Audi trans and a 302. Does the fore/aft alignment of the axle shafts matter - or should I ask "how much does that matter"? The axles travel up and down during road shock, is it acceptable to set the trans and wheel hubs (if that is where the axles bolt to) slightly fore/aft from one another or is it important to have them well aligned? Thanks,

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Some offset should be fine (perhaps wanted) as long as the two axes are not displaced so much that the angle becomes excessive. The 930 joint (which is what fits in my 016) allows a lot of angularity (comparitively speaking). I've installed a 9º angle on mine, but I've seen more than that in the vertical plane as well. When you combine both horizontal and vertical displacements, then obviously you'll have more angularity at the CV, more in one direction of suspension movement than the other. An unqualified guess it you could go as high as 15º and be safe, 20º if you've accounted for EVERYTHING and know exactly what everything is doing back there.

My own first hand experience with track time, sliding splines, and a mere 300hp has been quite different. The splines do indeed hammer out over time, exactly as I mentioned, and leave one (that'd be me) sitting on the verge with stripped splines. If you're checking the fit after every race you'll notice that they become progressively looser, from very slight interference to no interference then to lots of slop. Those axles were made by one of the best CV/axle shops in the country too, so it wasn't a matter of poor engineering or quality.

I'd be pointing fingers at the heat treater in that case, we use plenty of 930CV's in the off-road rallying world, and they all slide on the splines to allow for the 16-18 inches of travel we have - we've never had a problem with stripping or hammering the splines, the ball races in the outer CV always die first from wear and indentation from the shock loadings.

Back