Battery location Southern GT

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
The Southern GT was intended to have the battery mounted up front. This would add a bit of extra weight over the front wheels but adds large wires to be run back to the starter/ alternator. The fuel tanks are located back in the chassis where the battery would have been originally in the road cars on the left hand side. I was thinking that while moving the battery right rear behind the driver making a short power wire runs for the starter and alternator. Move the tanks forward to gain some weight back on the front end with the fuel load. This also keeps the cutoff in the original spot on the drivers side bulkhead.

Any one have thoughts on this or am I over thinking this?

Thanks
David

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, I have my battery up front. It could also be in the pasenger footwell. I’m not too keen on having the battery 25 mm from a full fueltank, and in a very close proximity to two fuelpumps and right next to red hot headers:)
I prefer to reduce the chance of fire by removing the battery from fuel and heat source. I can cut power from inside cockpit.

well thats just me... not that I’m any good with electric wiring:)

Neil

Supporter
My battery is also located in the passenger foot well. I placed it there to balance the F/R weight distribution and L/R distribution to balance the fuel tank on the right side and the driver on the left. I used # 1/0 AWG from the battery to the starter. I would strongly recommend placing the battery in a battery box if it is located within the cockpit.

Whatever you do mount the battery securely to the floor! In a crash, a poorly mounted battery can become a virtual cannon ball.

Last edited:
Back