Before and after-a work in progress.

Pat

Supporter
I've been frustrated with the fit and finish of my car and the obsessive compulsive side won't let go until it's perfect... This is before:

Attachments

• 61426-sCAV2(Small).JPG
    61426-sCAV2(Small).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 399

Pat

Supporter
This is today, tomorrow to come...

Attachments

• 61427-Repaint1.jpg
    61427-Repaint1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 378
Holy cow! I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, so I'm curious. What was it about the fit and finish - can you note some details? For example, was the paint not smooth? were some of the body panels not flat? did some of the panels not align well? Do you suspect these problems existed from the beginning or were they a result of normal wear and tear?

I'm interested since I know CAV's were all 'factory built rollers' and were not inexpensive. I'm wondering what wasn't up to par for you.

Mitch D

From what I was told the first 10 monos were sent to a BMW assembly plant to be finished. This was done because the CAV factory was not ready for in house finishing of the bodies yet. Since the outside plant was under time restraints they did not do that good of a job. From mono #11 on where the bodies were done in house and from what I have heard that they were finished as good as any car in the world. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pat

Supporter
As you can see on the "before" photo, the fit and finish were not awful and I'd say were a B-.
The panels rubbed away paint in places on both the front and rear sections as well as one spot on one of the doors. The rear deck was also hung 1/16th higher on the right side but you really couldn't tell without a level. The gap lines were not consistent and would vary by an eighth of an inch in places. Not bad but still not what I want.
The biggest problem as I saw it was the paint finish. As you look at the "now" picture you can see the high spots are the lighter colors. The paint tech working on it indicates a couple of problems are at the root of it. First, the primer/filler was sprayed inconsistently, puddling in some places and barely covering the gel coat in others. In addition, solvent was apparently dripped on a couple of places causing blisters/bubbles in the paint. The car also seemed very susceptible to stone chips and scratches. All that said, I'm taking it from an acceptable state to something show quality. The fact that I drive the thing and do occasional track days means I suspect more body/paint work will probably be in the future.
I'm really happy with the car overall and glad I chose a CAV. I also plan to constantly improve it as part of my enjoyment of the car. Like my dear wife says, "there is a very fine line between a hobby and insanity" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now would be a good time to change colors if you want, I'm sure Tracey will work with you, just don't be in a hurry, Wayne

Pat

Supporter
Hi Wayne,
I've always liked the color so I'm not changing that but getting it resprayed with better paint. Tracey has had the car for a little over a month and is making steady progress. He also found a couple of voids in the fiberglass which would have been a problem over time. I've taken your advice and visit him every week. When does your car get back from Michigan?

Kinetics didn't give me a time, which is fine with me, I'm not in a hurry. I have to many other projects and no place to keep it if it was done. 2 cars are in shops and the cobra is at a friends garage and everyting else has a car in it. I'm also considering going to a Hewland, I'm a fraid I will break the ZF. Know anyone interested in a new, in the crate ZF? Wayne

Pat

Supporter
Getting closer. Tracey does spectacular work. The pictures don't due it justice.

Attachments

• 62257-Cavgetsstripes2.JPG
    62257-Cavgetsstripes2.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 343
Sorry to hear that you are not happy with the finish on your car. I am very pleased with mine and I have had some very nice comments on the quality of the paint. In fact I was at a show tthe past weekend where ther were some high end street rods and was surprised to take an award over them.

Vic

Attachments

• 62361-P1010142.jpg
    62361-P1010142.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 371

Pat

Supporter
Hi Tom,
I'll post a couple and send you an e-mail with others.

Attachments

• 63371-Afterrepaint8.JPG
    63371-Afterrepaint8.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 380
Back