BF Goodrich tyres

I have no issue with BFG tires, they are on many of the cars in my family. Dad has at least 6 of his cars and me and my brother each have a set on our cars. When it came to the GTD and my brothers Pantera we both bought the Mickey Thompson sportsman s/r a really nice tire with an amazing tread pattern.

View attachment 106602
I have been looking at these, as well. Could you let me know the size you are using at the rear and the size at the front?

Thanks!
/s/ Chris Kennedy

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I have no issue with BFG tires, they are on many of the cars in my family. Dad has at least 6 of his cars and me and my brother each have a set on our cars. When it came to the GTD and my brothers Pantera we both bought the Mickey Thompson sportsman s/r a really nice tire with an amazing tread pattern.

View attachment 106602

Regardless of the tread pattern, how well do they work? Do they corner well or do they only work for 1/4 mile at a time? :)

Also, they list only one 24" option which is 5" wide. I would love a 24" OD 8-10" wide option. My 205/60-15 BFG's are 23.75" OD and by the time I get to Avons at 25" OD (labelled as 225/60-15's), they just barely fit. I would be surprised if I could fit their 26" tire- maybe the 8" one for the front?

225 Avon vs 205 BFG:
ACtC-3focCBgvBjvAIQYwTW4kvsEGlBUgksfEooF6CFgImM0665XPW3iLsKEXH_38sSAN8ju9pIFH8Xr8yeYxYRD1ZBSYNLVHIifFd1hu_AZOLlaSbjq5fEeWGTaky19fiLb6NBXqknh-EMyOYLJm8WbVtTIYA=w1666-h937-no

Closest point of approach for Avons at 25" OD:
ACtC-3e8ulBz5X1dReVQNNBtC5pnlO92mKC946-KbMnbU3oY3sEgJIzr0cGKpvmlTZRTYOXd3RJZatyZUJjRLEpMgIwrphpWZ_BDRtDU1lKE4Q5TEwl3BR_Cap4eplb2i7_K8es-TnwMoioe0b_Xl4A3lM0L7A=w1076-h937-no

Last edited:

Dan Kasten

Supporter
I don't have 24", I have 26x12x15 on the rear and 26x8x15 ready to be put on the front. I originally bought 26x10x15 but that is too wide for the front. These sizes I used I compared to what was on the GTD from the build manual. I do not run the car on the track, street only and have to say they stick like glue. No quarter mile for me lol my Cougar is for that.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
The AVONS are good for me since I attend a couple of track days each year here in Charlotte. But for day-to-day road use the speed rating should be a non-issue of course.

Once I get my clutch working again I think I will try two BFGs on the front SIMPLY as a brief experiment to see how they feel in normal street driving (I say "brief experiment" to avoid emails about not mixing tires, etc). I have a hunch that the full tread on the BFGs may provide better feel and less twitchiness, even though I would certainly expect the grip to be a lot less than the Avons in cornering----the Avons have very shallow tread even when new, and they may behave at the front like worn tires do (twitchier/more nervous).

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Once I get my clutch working again I think I will try two BFGs on the front SIMPLY as a brief experiment to see how they feel in normal street driving (I say "brief experiment" to avoid emails about not mixing tires, etc). I have a hunch that the full tread on the BFGs may provide better feel and less twitchiness, even though I would certainly expect the grip to be a lot less than the Avons in cornering----the Avons have very shallow tread even when new, and they may behave at the front like worn tires do (twitchier/more nervous).

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Do not mix tire compounds front to rear - you will not like the results. I tried this some time back and ended up with a car that was quite literally dangerous as I could not predict controllability. As somewhat of a qualifier, I had more than 30 years (at the time) of competition driving and was a performance driving instructor prior to my retirement 5 years ago.
It was just not a good experience or experiment at all...

Do not mix tire compounds front to rear - you will not like the results. I tried this some time back and ended up with a car that was quite literally dangerous as I could not predict controllability. As somewhat of a qualifier, I had more than 30 years (at the time) of competition driving and was a performance driving instructor prior to my retirement 5 years ago.
It was just not a good experience or experiment at all...

Thanks! Yes, I understand. That's why I mentioned that this would only be a brief experiment----just a straight and brief drive down the road to see what the difference in front end feel is. Nothing permanent. With other tires on other cars I have noted that you can feel differences in real world driving almost immediately when you leave the tire installer. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in reminding me about this, however.

Regards,

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Back