Boss 429 in a GT40?

Has anyone toyed with the idea of putting a Boss 429 into a GT40? Before the problem of weight is brought up, let me say my thinking is that of using an aluminum block. That would weigh about the same as a SBF.

I checked the heights of the engines and the Boss 429 would need to have a shallower oil pan, but there seems to be plenty of space for the wider heads. Also, what would be the best trans for this idea?

Any thoughts?

I'm partial to the Boss 429 because I used to own an original 1969 Boss 429 Mustang
(KK 429 NASCAR 1998).

Have fun!

John Stone
Canby, Oregon

To do justice to that engine you need to do one of the Can Am 'J' chassis cars, while they were not successful in their day, a modern day example would be neat, based on a tub along the line of RCR. Might be a bit chilly up your way with no roof though:) You would need a transaxle that matched the power output along with your driving habits!!!

Thanks Jac, but I'm a GT40 "only" person, although I love the Boss 429 engine.

I have a stock 302 with an Audi 016 to put in mine, but that drive train is not etched in 'stone' (no pun intended). My 016 is the one built by Eric with the Ford 302 bell housing welded onto it, in place of the Audi Bell housing. It had many responses to that old posting. I hate to mention that because most would have finished their GT40 a long time ago; so I guess it's time I get to work on mine.

My driving habits would only be for the street as I doubt I'd hit the track. Now about that matching transaxle for the Boss 429...?

Have fun!

John Stone

With all the modern upgrades available for the B429 this should have been done a long time ago. I regrettably sold off several of the original motors that I had acquired from a local stock car racer 25 - 30 years ago.

Egoman,

It's great to meet another B429 man. C&C Motorsports is the Ford authorized shop for continuing the Boss 429 engine and they have variations available, including the aluminum block.

Any thoughts on the transaxle to mate with it?

Have Fun!

John Stone

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
I have a 69 B9 and a GT40 in my garage, you are welcome to come take a look. I have to tell you that it looks like it might be 10 lbs of sausage into a 5 lb. skin, but I suppose a cutting torch and enough grease might get the job done.

Must admit that I have thought about it more than once though.

Gordy,

You're in Ford heaven those two vehicles. WOW! I hope you don't sell yours like I did (stupid me). Thanks for the invite. If I ever make it to Michigan I'll contact you.

Jac,

Ricardo? That would be awesome but I was thinking more of a "wrecking yard" level in price. Thanks.

This posting is in the Engine section. I don't want to turn it into a Transaxle posting to help keep the right subject in the right section. I appreciate the responses. If anyone else has Boss 429 engine into the GT40 fitting tips, they're welcome.

The members on this site are awesome!

Have fun!

John Stone

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I checked the heights of the engines and the Boss 429 would need to have a shallower oil pan, but there seems to be plenty of space for the wider heads. Also, what would be the best trans for this idea?

Good lord, as I recall Ford had to do quite a bit of surgery on the B429 chassis to get the engine in there, didn't they have to shave the shock towers?

The 302 can be a tight fit in these things, I can't imagine the B429 would fit with those massive heads, but then I don't have one in front of me to measure. I know there have been others who had difficulty getting SBF motors in (one member has a 351C in the engine bay of his ERA), usually related to clearance between the chassis and the front engine dress. It might be one big challenge!!

Doug

Back