Brake Bleed Mess

Car's been sitting awhile due to dead clutch issue (no leaks anywhere, but pedal pressure gone). Ultimately, power motive bleed of clutch and fluid change got the clutch back up and running.

Decided since I had nose off after working in pedal area, I'd change the brake fluid and bleed the brakes since it has been a while.

Strange scenario:
- before starting bleed/fluid change process, brakes work fine
- with motive power bleeder connected to brake filler point at 20 psi, fluid would not flow through any of the 4 bleeder valves [in the past with this setup, fluid flowed quickly into disposal bottle until clear with no bubbles]
- with bleeder valve almost completely out, fluid did not flow through bleeder valve and was just seeping slowly between bleeder valve and caliper

Any thoughts on what's going on and what the fix might be?

Kyle

Supporter
When I first bleed the brakes in my SLC G96 transaxle, I had some very firm clutch movement. Narrowed it down to junk in the flex line. After I replaced that it was perfect. I was using power bleeder too.

Neil

Supporter
Possibly some debris blocking the bleeder screw passages? Deteriorating rubber seals can leave this kind of stuff in the brake fluid. Unscrew one bleeded valve all the way out and see if you can see light through the valve, if not run a fine wire through and see what stuff falls out.

After taking motive bleeder hose off the Girling brake fluid can that SPF uses, the can was spilling fluid over the top of the can. It was as if the can was blocked. Has anyone had an instance where Girling can became blocked?

Haven't ever removed plate that the brake and clutch fluid cans are attached to, nor removed the cans before. Can you get to masters from there or is there just a hole with grommet and hose running thru the grommet?

Disregard question on what's below cans, spatially, it appears no way to get to masters from there. Looks like taking the a/c, plate off again.

What brake hoses? the rubber ones will block overtime.
Bleeder screwns can block them selves by corrosion.
Do you run brake servo's also? their masters can be blocked also.

Back