Bruce's T70Spyder

@Fran Hall RCR - Fran, I now own one of the two cars completed by John Gyan from Can-Am Creations (the one featured in the Kit Cars mag writeup). I have replaced everything rubber, rebuilt the Webers, recharged the fire suppression system, aligned and corner weighted, added 12V and USB power ports, added horn with hub button, turn signals, and applied the same livery and graphics as # 83 driven by A J Foyt. The car already had a GA title, so I plan to plate it and do some cruising in Michigan, as well as vintage racing (it has an HSR logbook). I was informed that you worked with John Gyann and helped him develop the car - is this true? First photo is car as I obtained it. Second photo is the livery and graphics being applied at this moment.

Attachments

• 111 body images (56).jpg
    111 body images (56).jpg
    278 KB · Views: 260
  • 1965 lola t70 spyder mk II 1966 A J Foyt's car #83 (11).jpg
    1965 lola t70 spyder mk II 1966 A J Foyt's car #83 (11).jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 254
@pattersonlee - Would be more difficult as a scratch build, but this car already has a VIN and GA title. I added complete turn signals, Hella air horns, backup and license place lights and so on, so it conforms to most of my state requirements. In fact, with the HSR-approved roll cage, full fire suppression system, unreal brakes and Willens 6-point harnesses, my T70 is arguably safer than many cars out on the road. Private message me and I will give you insights into getting your car plated.

Last edited:
Additional rebuild info: My T70 is not historically accurate. It is is dimensionally accurate, and, with a steel frame, structurally similar to the earliest T70 Mk I's. I have been advised that some of the panels are ex-Huntingdon, and the motor is Can-Am spec, albeit slightly detuned (460 hp). The motor is a 383 CI SBC fitted with an original Moon manifold and 4 Weber 48 IDA two-barrel downdraft carbs. The car runs on 93 premium, but pulls stronger with a couple gallons of added race fuel. The car was built by John Gyann near Chicago at the turn of this century. According to Fran Hall, the frame of the car was constructed by Lola Continuation cars in England a few years earlier. John Gyann wanted a car with robust chassis and suspension, and convenient parts accessibility - a car suitable for both road and track. Thus, my T70 is equipped with Corvette C4 uprights, hubs, wheel bearings, spindles and more. The car has a steel frame with aluminum sections, similar to the Mk I. John Gyann eschewed a 4-speed Hewland trans (which would have been neat with the clutchless upshifts enabled by the dogbox rings) in favor of a 5-speed Getrag engineered for a much heavier Audi. The addfitional, and lower, first gear and baulk-ring synchros enable easier driving around town. He built two T70's, and planned on putting the car into production, but a recession intervened, and only two were produced. Now that mine is almost back on it's (rubber) feet, both cars will still be running (the other on European tracks, acccording to a prior owner of my car). My T70 has an HSR logbook, has run a few races, won a couple, and participated without great success in the 2012 Walter Mitty in Atlanta. I hope to complete my SCCA Competition licensing this coming weekend, and future plans include entering my car in a few races per year. After three races over two years, I will receive my Pro license, which is basically a bucket list thing - I do not intend to do any serious racing - vintage appearances only. There are some really serious racers in vintage, to be sure, but no kamikazes, as the rules protect valuable cars and older drivers. For most of us, it's about participating, not winning, although there are exceptions driving their 800 hp Ford GT's and Porsche 935's. My finger will get tired pointing them by.

The car is now painted and final reassembly has begun. The T70 imaged in my signature is not actually mine, but carries nearly identical paint color and graphics.

Brian - I don't have too many images of the chassis, as the restoration work is being performed in Cumming GA. Here's shots of various areas of the chassis, and one shot with most of the body panels removed. Apologies for the duped photos:
111 engine details.JPG
111 engine details.JPG
111 engine details.JPG
111 engine details.JPG
111 engine details (34).jpg
111 interior details (1).jpg
111 suspension, brakes, chassis, wheels, tires (42).JPG
111 suspension, brakes, chassis, wheels, tires (38).JPG
111 engine details.jpeg
:

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice Bruce. Hopefully the shop doing the work will send some progress pictures also. Do they have a timeline of when it will be completed ??

Regards Brian

Brian - the shop tells me May 15th, but I am betting end of May, as they have suffered a few defections from their mechanical staff - 3 of the better guys got together and decided to create their own shop. Mechanics do not have the same skillset as businessmen, and they lasted all of five weeks, but managed to put my guy Jason Plante from Balanced Performance Motors behind the eight-ball. From every evidence, Jason is a terrific person. Experientially, he's a second generation racing mechanic with NASA competition license, former owner of a racing school, with decades of experience. Morally, I like everything I've seen and heard about Jason. When he could not have my car ready for my SCCA Competition license training, he brought a race-prepped BMW up from Georgia for the weekend - without charge, because he felt responsible. The arrangement was doubly good for me, because it rained the entire weekend, and I would have drowned in that fully-open Lola!

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That's good to hear Bruce. Hopefully that works out for you. It's getting harder and harder to find a shop that follows through. From everything you stated. Jason sounds like a good guy. Please let us know how things work out.

Regards Brian

I passed the SCCA Competition course and obtained my Novice license last weekend. For anyone interested in obtaining a NASA or SCCA Competition license for vintage or other racing, following is the saga. There was also a 9-hour class day about two weeks prior to the two-day driving weekend:

My first time driving a BMW was behind the wheel of my rental car at the school. The BMW was tall and heavy, characteristics with which I was unfamiliar, as nearly all my trackdays have been in Super Sevens. It rained hard both days, and I had never driven aggressively in the rain. I tried to keep up while remaining cautious. Jay, our group leader said the lap times of all 13 people in my group were within one second. He then told us that if we were not countersteering at least a few times per lap, we were not driving fast enough. My next session was a 20 minute open track with passing. It was raining hard. Jay said that my second lap during the heat was the fastest of the weekend for me, and I was, indeed, countersteering often. However, on my third lap, on a right-turning off-camber hilltop, my rear end washed out to the left. I countersteered, but then washed out to the right, plus slicked my wheels on the infield grass. Then, when I reentered the track, I really lost traction and began spinning, eventually hitting the armco halfway to the next curve. The impact felt hard, but the HANS and the belts worked great, and I only got a couple bruises. Amazingly, the corner worker inspected the car and said it looks OK, and told me to drive out. Remarkably, that BMW unhooked itself from the armco and climbed out of that soaked ditch on its own power. When I got back to the pits, my mechanic tore off the busted headlight and bumper, straightened some sheet metal and got it ready for the next heat. Two other cars suffered the same fate, one at the same spot. The instructors told me that the crash was not held against me due to weather. Personally, I believe the instructors should not have asked for so much aggression from someone in an unfamiliar car who had never raced in the rain. My mechanic is also a long-time NASA instructor (Jason Plante), and he said the same thing. Anyway, the very last heat was a full race - pace car start to checkered flag. I started last, but gained two spots. My goal was one, and none of the front-running big-bore cars lapped me, so I felt like Cale Yarborough when the checkered flag dropped.

After so many track days, I thought I knew the best lines at Waterford Hills, but I bet I doubled my understanding. Since I knew little about driving competitively in traffic, aggressive passing, safety gear, etc. my knowledge in those areas increased by a factor of 10 or more. On balance, the school was great. And I'm also happy that the rain forecast induced me to buy trackday insurance 24 hours before the event!
That's good to hear Bruce. Hopefully that works out for you. It's getting harder and harder to find a shop that follows through. From everything you stated. Jason sounds like a good guy. Please let us know how things work out.

Regards Brian

Regards Brian
Brian - I sure will. I originally obtained Jason's number from several local racers, who had services performed by or had heard good things about him. Jason's rates are fair, too - much better than my high-cost Michigan (getting to be like California up here). And the race car he brought north for me was bulletproof the entire weekend, except for the damage I inflicted upon it. The next test will be receipt of my completed Lola. But in-between, Jason comes up with so many excellent, experience-based suggestions, and is so accommodating regarding my inputs, that I have high hopes for a very successful outcome. His shop is Balanced Performance Motors, located in Cumming GA, a suburb of Atlanta. For anyone interested, Jason's shop number is 470-239-8355. He is well-connected to a second-generation body and paint man, so the two of them can perform full restoration projects.

8BEA0055-F8C6-4525-91B2-01F8F573C60D.png
8BEA0055-F8C6-4525-91B2-01F8F573C60D.png

my old car…
I bought everything from John Guyan. Still have 1 of the 2 original chassis produced by Heritage Engineering in the UK. Sold the other one (car pictured above) to a friend who turned it into a coupe. Your chassis was actually produced by John Guyan and bodied as a red Spyder. Another friend of mine bought it and I provided the more authentic nose currently on the car.

@Johan - so good to hear from you! I have wondered about that second car for a while now. I heard it was racing in Europe - is that the case? Coincidentally, I am setting up my Lola much like you did - similar paint (Electric Blue metallic) with no stripes and 3 roundels. I was even going to give it the number 23, which is part of my wife's full birthdate, but you got there first, so now I may have to reconsider. I notice you got rid of the knock-off wheel spinners and went to single center nuts - I am trying to do that now - any tips on parts, etc? Looks like you primarily raced yours - did you run vintage or? I will run some vintage races, but my primary use will be street. I have owned Caterham Super Sevens nearly my entire adult life, so I understand well the exposed driving position, light weight and extreme power-to-weight ratio. I was aware that my car was originally red - I have the issue from Kit Car mag that featured it on the cover. One of the car's previous owners told me that the hood on my Lola was originally from Huntingdon - is that true? The owner I bought the car from, Ron in Georgia, also sold me an entire spare body - the nose looks the same, but maybe I am wrong. I am saving the pictures of the sister car you included - thanks for those. I'll take others if you have them.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Johan - that was a great video. I wonder if Jim held the lead to victory? I've seen all the Jim Pace T70 Spyder vids, but no Coupe vids. The way Jim set up that pass for several laps was a real teaching moment. He watched the fellow go wide a number of times, and let his confidence falter - so smart. The fellow that owned my car before me is Ron Olexa from Georgia. He has this message for you: "(The Lola T70 I sold to Bruce was originally sold to a fellow with the) last name of Ellis. Also in the ATL area. He then sold it to Ward Witkowski of Marietta GA, who turned it from a street car to a dedicated HSR racer, then I (Ron Olexa) bought it from Ward in 2012 or 2013.

Please send (Johan) my info and let him know I have the third Heritage chassis (chassis #1) and many of the chassis jigs. I’d love to get up close and personal on Johan's car to get detailed measurements of the trans girdle and engine mounts.

Or if he’s interested in the whole mess as parts for his car or parts to build another (he could buy all my parts) - that could be another option." I know that Ron has nearly all the parts required to assemble a true reproduction coupe, and had been thinking about assigning the task to Olthoff Racing.

I will provide you via the message option with Ron's contact info.

Can't seem to start a conversation with you - perhaps you can send me a message and I will respond with Ron's info.

7FADFFB3-0869-4806-8BB1-FD3E73C4610A.jpeg

this car is the same car as the blue 23.
this car is now the coupe above.
it has always been a race car and is the original Heritage Engineering T70 when it was the Blue 23.
highly developed with Hewland and big HP, great brakes, etc.

I have no use for parts for this car as I sold it many years ago to the guy who turned it into a coupe. He has it currently for sale with Olthoff.

Back