Building in Australia.

Hi all

I am in Melbourne Australia, so some of you will no doubt know that we have some crazy regulations to get passed. I’m not at a stage where I can build as yet, more doing research for the moment, I was just wondering what the latest regs are, and weather I might have missed something

Am I right in assuming that I will require, if I started tomorrow
- current 2007 engine (BF XR8)
- Catalectic converters
- Original engine management system
- Quiet exhaust
- Collapsible steering column
- Australian Design Rules Compliant Seats & Belts

What else ?

Regards Ryan

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ryan
All I can say to the above is YES and a whole lot more.
Most importantly get in touch with a GOOD certifying engineer PRIOR to starting and discuss your intentions with him and follow his recommendations as he will have to provide the final sign off.

The other important thing is to not try and cut corners and hope it wont be noticed because it ultimately will and you only end up getting everyone off side.
These cars draw incredible attention and everything will be noticed and checked.

Dimi

Thanks Dimi

I have heard that it is a good idea to seek engineering approval before you start, and then again before you buy your engine.

I have been in contact with the Victorian clubman builders group and am hoping to catch up with them at some stage. Nothing like learning from other car builder’s mistakes and …
Well ill probably make my share as well.

Do you still get five years to complete the project ?

I sat in a gulf coloured GTD (1988 – imported 2nd hand from Japan) on Tuesday, it was too small and I couldn’t get comfortable, I’m 6’4 ish there were a few things I wanted to change as well so all up thought the price was to high, it did have a 289 block with carb, so from an originality point of view it was closer than what could be built today.

Last edited:
Back