RF passes emmissions

Hi Tim,

I've got a standard 302 nearly finished and a mate has a 4.6 turnkey not to far away. We'll be able to give you some honest direct comparisions between the 302 VS 4.6. We've been discussing places we can go to give the cars a run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif Maybe after our cars are on the road we could meet up at Winton for a weekday closed private session? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifThere's probably a few others that would be interested?

Andrew

Keith

We have a fascinating "contest" in prospect guys. I'm sure the 4.6 will exhibit many different characteristics than it's venerable cousin the 302, and to be fair, it would probably take quite a bit of development and tweaking to hit the sweet spot, but, my money's on a hot 302 vs a hot 4.6. Those 300 extra cc's will make all the difference! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Forget standard, who builds "standard" 302s or 4.6Ls? What standard? 302 Boss standard? Or standard 302 as found in 95 Cobra Mustangs? 4.6L 4V as found in a Mustang Cobra? Or 4.6L found in a Lincoln Continetnal?

I say open season - Ford SBs vs. the 4V mod motor family. Let the chips fall where they may! I'm entering mine in as soon as Robert drops a car over and I can install it. And mod motor folks remember one word: supercharger, don't leave home without it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heck, I'll enter my mod motor in my truck too, I'll play on both sides.

Ron,
By "standard", I think he means RF emissions compliant engines. There is only one very definite configuration for each engine for that. I'm with you though on the hot-engine comparison, but when it comes to comparing power-per-emissions (which is probably the real world test for many), then I think Robert is saying that the 4.6 probably has it over the 302.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ahhhhhhhh, standard as in the measly 225 to 240hp emission lump in the late model Explorers etc.? Yes, then you are completely correct, it has no chance against the 320hp 4V emissions motor.

Both are, in my opinion, very "soft" in a 40 but if that is all you can run then that is all you can run. Make up for it by making the car as light as possible. Damn politics and rules!

Still, it'll be a cool installation and definitely the way of the future in many countries and some states in the US.

There's always this option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif That would sure help the cause... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

Attachments

• 74638-kennebell.jpg
    74638-kennebell.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 286

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Tim, you are a naughty boy !! Fancy anyone encouraging people to soup things up after passing the emissions tests ! Whilst you might appear to be encouraging it, I am sure that you never actually do it youself - NOT !!!

Decisions, decisions - 8-stack or s/c ? From what I gather, the s/c might be the way to go ? That unit in your pic is a really compact job (just needs 2 more cyls) & should fit in ok.

Now all we need is for a s/c manufacturer to come up with that sort of compact unit, drawing air from 8 x TBs on top, and everyone will be happy !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

The standard RF windsor engine is the 220kw 5.0 (about 320HP?) which was available in Australia I think in the Tickford Falcon TL50 for a short while, and is now still available in that configuration as a crate engine (GT40Y heads etc).

I don't know anything about the 4.6 standard but if you are correct Ron with your figures, then Robert's earlier comment about the difference being the 10kg and the power delivery would be right on the money.

The 4.6 Cobra motor in standard trim (as my car is now) is also quoted at 320hp. Hot up bits are still hard to find, but they will start to come more popular. The blower kits are huge in US with Mustang owners.

Tim,
You may be interested to know that your car and mine sat parked about 3 feet apart at Alan's paint shop last weekend. Alan is a real craftsman. I'm sure you will be very impressed with the final product. I would have loved to have seen the final fit of the 4.6 engine but it was all covered up. Maybe I'll get another chance at the unveiling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
And here they were.. Mine will be out of the way by Sunday... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Attachments

• 74761-s.jpg
    74761-s.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 290

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Yep, in the foreground is Chris' "Leman 1", then there is your car on the driveway and in the background is my "naked" car.
The bike is a 1972 CB750 k2 cafe racer, which Chris enjoyed riding around the block /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back