California registration

Howard Jones

Supporter
Other's here have said it very clearly. SB100 will allow you to put any engine in it you want along with its smog stuff and declare the model year of the car the same as the year the engine was manufactured. OR you can declare the model year the same as the body of the car and put any year engine in it. IE, 1965 GT40, Cobra Etc. You can see the benefit of a old body style.

You can also see the benefits of each. If you have a GT40 kit you can use the body year (1965)and put anything you want to into it as far as engine goes. If you have a modern kit you can put any engine into it you want as long as the COMPLETE smog equipment package is present for the year of the engine. 1965 SBF, SBC, Etc = no smog stuff.

By the way when you are done the car will be registered as a 2009 Specially constructed vehicle and therefor smog exempt if you use a old body style not a 1965 whatever. I know of no way to do that... make it a 1965 whatever.

If you have a old engine without any smog requirements you can put it in but you will need to get it smog checked every couple of years like everyone else. This is the reason you want a SB100 tag. No further Smog involvement.

The Smog rev's will be able to identify the engine year, so don't try that one, it won't work.

As far as a SLC goes, or a Ultima for that matter, you could put a pre 65 engine into it and have no smog requirements based of the 1965 engine. OR you can put a modern engine (LS7) into it and add the required smog stuff. Not so bad really. I would think that the cats would be the only thing negative. Oh and 1965 327's will make plenty of power by the way. 450HP easy.

Now as far as the other thing goes. No know body type. I don't know anybody who has done it that way. But if you get rejected by the smog ref then you will have to do it one of the other ways. The SB100 ticket is only good for the year in which it is issued so you can't screw around with this. Git er done! It can also only be used on a vehicle that has NEVER been registered ever. I would go with a old engine in a SLC or a old body in a GT40.

By the way.... once you have a completed registration under SB100 you NEVER go back to the smog people again. If you blow the motor you can replace it.....................

Now as far as the opening day goes. YOU MUST BE THE FIRST ONE IN LINE AT YOUR LOCAL DMV ON THE 1ST DATE THAT THE DMV IS OPEN IN THE CALENDAR YEAR. Get up early, drive over there and wait. I got there at 5am for a 8am open. I beat the second guy by 10 mins. By 6:30 am there were 10 people in line. ALL THE TICKETS IN THE STATE WILL BE GONE BY 10AM. If you can, go to a DMV that knows the SB100 drill. If you go to some out in the woods DMV then you might waste the time getting them up to speed on what you are trying to do. The main DMV's all know the drill and if you are 1st in line (maybe first 3 would be OK) you will get one pretty much for sure. By the way there are about a 100 DMV's statewide.

Forget any other method. The appointment thing WILL NOT WORK!!!! The early bird gets the worm. Find a DMV and a DMV employee, that knows what up and work with them getting things DONE in advance of the big day. You must have ALL the paperwork with you and complete when you walk up to the window. If you walk away from the window you will wait until next year.... for sure. Build a folder with everything in it that has anything to do with the car that is on paper. Even take most of you recites with you for parts. There is no such thing as too much paperwork at the DMV. Sort it so that you can get out the stuff that you think you need at the window and put the rest aside in case you need it. Take it ALL up to the window. Remember you can't go out to the car and get it. You'll never get your spot back.

None of this is hard. 500 people do it right every year. You have plenty of time. Just do you homework and you will be fine. I went in one final time in early December with all my papers just to check with the girl at the DMV. She said "It's all here, see you next year"

The best part is after you are done you will have a completely legal car. Way cool!!!!

I should add that the state of California has a ongoing investigation of fraud involving out of state phoney or otherwise illegal registration stuff. Don't be tempted by any other "easy way". You'll get caught and they might not be nice about it and let you do it over again. There have been 1000's of involuntary surrender of title, registration and plates so far. I think the days of pay us and start over..... are over.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any idea what would happen under sb100 if a Japan only engine was used? Like a Mazda 20B? Are the referrees still able to look those foreign only engines up? If they do and it's an engine type that was never smogged in CA, or even the US, how do they deal with it? General smog rules for that build year, or.....????

Hopefully sb100 doesn't come under fire in the CA environmental emissions overhaul that is now being implemented. Anyone know anything about this?

If you tell the smog ref you want it smogged by body style, it doesn't matter what engine you install. If they ask you what it's supposed to be, tell them it's a '64 Lola:drunk:

SPCNS and SB100 are California law, and are written into the California constitution. For them to change or eliminate it, would require a state constitutional amendment.

Sorry, I wasn't speaking specifically about a GT 40. I had earlier in this thread mentioned a body like the SLC. That is what I was referring to. An instance where the body style is either too new or undeterminable and therefore one must use the engine data. Just wondering if that even exists, as far as a ref is concerned, on a Jap only engine?

And if it does, then what smog requirements there would be?

Sorry, I wasn't speaking specifically about a GT 40. I had earlier in this thread mentioned a body like the SLC. That is what I was referring to. An instance where the body style is either too new or undeterminable and therefore one must use the engine data. Just wondering if that even exists, as far as a ref is concerned, on a Jap only engine?

And if it does, then what smog requirements there would be?
I believe the law states that if the body style cannot be determined, then the model year 1960 will be used. Nowhere could I find anything about reverting to engine data if the body style couldn't be determined.

If you insist that the car be smogged per the engine, then a smog legal engine must be used, along with all the related equipment, as installed on a US spec car. And in the instance of a Japanese only engine, it wouldn't be allowed. However, most Jap spec engines can be retrofitted with the US smog equipment used on their US counterparts, and pass at least the visual. Remember though, it's your choice as to what a home built car will be smogged as- body style or engine.

Interesting take John. As I read it, it is up to the builder whether it is to be certified by either year of body or year of engine. If the body year is undeterminable, such as the SLC, then it would automatically revert to the engine. If that data is undeterminable, then the entire thing is designated a 1960 vehicle, and nothing further is required. I have never heard of, and if someone has, please speak up, the ref simply "not allowing" an engine because it isn't on the list. So the question remains, are foreign only engines data from, say, 1998 available to the referrees? And if he can then determine what year the engine was made, what smog rules would apply?

I can't find reference to it right now, but there is a recent ruling that states if a modern engine is used, all the smog equipment related to that engine must also be used. There was a long discussion,(several pages) on Club Cobra - Welcome to Club Cobra...The world's largest non-biased Cobra site! discussing this, along with input from a member of the Ca Attorney General office. If the Jap spec engine is considered a modern engine, and it doesn't have certified emissions equipment, if would probably fail the test.
I did my SB100 in Jan 2005, and completed the process in March 2007. I know they asked me if I wanted to smog by body style or engine. I selected body style and didn't have any problems. If I had told them "engine" I think there would have been some issues. By the way, my engine is totally aftermarket, including the block, and can't be referenced to any production vehicle.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think you should be careful banking on the body being "indeterminable". You will need to show the DMV your recites from RCR for the purchase of the "kit" to determine your cost for tax purposes. At that point the case could be made that the year of manufacture is the year that the chassis was first sold as a SLC. That would be 2007 or so. You might have a hard time trying to convince a BAR ref to designate a SLC is a pre 1960 vehicle. If you get a hard time at that point you will have created a fight over something that could have been easily avoided. Don't start fights with the State of Calif over hot-rods. It's not a good idea.

The best bet is to build the car with a old SBC in it at minimum cost. I am sure you can put together a SBC for a few hundred dollars if you really wanted to. The smog rev is going to recognize the pre 65 Chev for what it is. Clean it up with a nice paintjob, put a cheap alum intake and a 4 barrel on it like every other hotrod and play nice. He will have seen many Chevys in hotrods and it will be a no-brain-er for everyone involved. As I have said before, you can legally replace the engine later.

The more creative you get with the State of Calif, the BAR smog rev, and the DMV, the more hassle it will be. Make it easy for them, stay legal and play ball with a old motor, and you will be a lot better off.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be difficult here, but how will they even know what smog equipment would be required on a 3 rotor Mazda engine that NEVER sold in the states? Will their computers show them what was required in Japan, or will they use some sort of standard specs for the year it was produced as if it WERE in CA at that time? Do they even have the ability to date foreign only engines?

HJ- Thank you. Just trying to figure out my options. Yours is certainly one of them.

As far as the date by engine thing goes. Again, as I read it, it must be an engine that was MANUFACTURED for sale in CA to qualify, not just registered at some time in CA. Any opinion on that?

Is this true even for the early model SBCs?

Anybody have any sources for date codes on SBC blocks?

Hey thanks for providing that link. It will probably be very helpful. I printed it out to take with me to "the engine guy"

Somelee

Lifetime Supporter
I tried to do a search here but couldn't find anything...my appologies if the answer to my question is already on the site.
I'm just wondering if I buy an already built turnkey car thats titled as a "kit car" in another state....will I still be able to register it in California under sb100? And if so I assume I'd still need to have the list/receipts of all work and parts used for the build?
What exactly do I need to make sure I get from the seller to ensure I can properly register in CA?
I don't want to buy something and then be screwed later on.

I appreciate the help.....and I hope to become an owner/supporting member soon.

all the best
Lee

I don't know this for sure, but it seems to me that if the previous state requires a title for registration then the car shouldn't require resubmitting under sb100. A simple change of title should suffice. Although I have imported a car to CA that was registered in FL that was no problem, it had CA certification previously so some of the smog requirements might have to be looked into. Is it licensed as a 196_ body style currently? Or at least 2005 or earlier? I know DMV has heartburn about importation of newer vehicles.

Please keep us informed as to what you eventually find out as this is a very interesting question.

Howard Jones

Supporter
SB100 can ONLY be used for a never before registered car in any jurisdiction that was built/assembled by the owner. ANY previous registration/title will be a HUGE red flag at the DMV. This law was passed so that home built cars could be legally driven in California without meeting stringent smog requirements (read impossible to comply with by a home builder) as long as it is either an old car or an old engine or both.

dean

Supporter
so what about putting a vw engine and tranny in a SLC? cheap and easy removeable once you get your tag.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I would put in the engine that you want in the car in the end along with the gearbox you would ultimately wish to use. At first you could simply use a basically stock/used SBC (couple of hundred bucks) for example and mate it to a used G50 Porsche (couple of thou). This way you have sorted all of the stuff like mounts, half shafts, adapter plate, exhaust, clutch linkage, water pipes, shifter etc. You could do a SBC and a used Porsche for under $3000 going in. Then as the project progresses, build the motor and gearbox as required.

Doing everything twice is just too much work. Doing a VW for example first would require all of the above first to make the VW work and then throw it all away just to do the same thing again to fit the Chev/Porsche. Doesn't make since to me. Legal I guess but a waste of money and time from where I am coming from.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how it is going to raise any red flags at the DMV. I don't see, depending on what the title says from the other state, how it would raise ANY flags. If you bring in a title for a 1965 GT40 from another state and that's what it says on the title, they will most likely just process the paperwork like they would with a 1965 Mustang. They will take your license and registration fee and send you on your way.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone know from experience what the various states title the replica vehicles on the certificate of titles, and/or how this effects change of address to another state?

For instance CA has the SPCN designation. I still don't have any idea what would happen if I moved to Wisconsin after registering in CA though.

This law was passed so that home built cars could be legally driven in California without meeting stringent smog requirements (read impossible to comply with by a home builder) as long as it is either an old car or an old engine or both.

I don't think sb100 has really anything to do with exempting home builds from smog requirements. The vehicle is still required to pass age appropriate smog inspections and emissions. What the builder is given a brake on are things like ABS, airbags, and crash test certifications.

I don't think sb100 has really anything to do with exempting home builds from smog requirements. The vehicle is still required to pass age appropriate smog inspections and emissions. What the builder is given a brake on are things like ABS, airbags, and crash test certifications.

SB100 was an effort to make registration and smog testing more fair for kit car,
self assembled, and replica builders. However, it really passed through the CA state
Senate since it also allowed the state to collect fairer taxes/fees on the vehicles.

If you register your vehicle under SB100 as a 1965 vehicle, you are exempted from
the bi-annual inspection. If you choose to register the vehicle as a 1976 or newer,
than you are subject to the bi-annual inspection.

If you bring in a previously registered car from another state, you may re-register it
under SB100. And yes, in many cases, this is a necessity. California will be very wary
registering a "1965 Ford GT" or a "1965 Ford Shelby Cobra". This is, after all, how
companies like Titles Unlimited got flagged - having an out of state registration
for a 1965 vehicle does not necessarily mean it will transfer cleanly.

Ian

Back