California Smog Exemption Roll Over Faces Repeal

I'm sure that if any of you are on any classic car mailing lists, you've probably recieved an email claiming that there's a California Senate Bill (708) that is supposed to repeal the roll over smog exemption.

In California, starting this year, there's a 30 year roll over exemption. if your car is more than 30 years old, it becomes automatically smog exempt. Also, any car manufactured prior to 1974 is also smog exempt, under a separate section of the Health and Safety code (44011.3c).

This bill seeks to do two things; change the 30 year roll-over exemption from 30 years to 45 years, and it also seeks to remove the pre-1974 exemption.

Personally, I don't car about too many cars that were made after 1974 anyways; who cares if your Chevette is smog exempt? And besides...didn't the car come with smog equipment in the first place? Can't say that about the older cars...

Anyways, SEMA and others are attempting an email campaign that says that any car manufactured from 1955 on up is going to have to have smog equipment according to this bill. That's not true. Any car manufactured prior to 1960 will still be smog exempt. Unfortunately, all of the cool street rods that alot of us grew up with would be subject to smog inspections. And, according to my sources, there's no grandfathering; if your car falls inside the limit, it has to have all of the smog equipment that came on the car. And you'll have to pay money until it does pass smog.

Just letting you all know. My thoughts are that taking the smog exemption roll over away is fine...but don't undo the part of the law that exempts pre-1974 vehicles.

Write your state senator and assemblyman.

Your Legislature

Information on the bill is at: Senate Bill 708

Your pal,
Meat.
flagsmall.jpg

Thanks meat, I fired off an e-mail to my local legislators...pointing out (among other things) the number of leaf-blowers and lawn mowers in the state of California vs. the number of 1960's cars.

SB100 cars are registered with a 1960 smog exemption, so - technically - it shouldn't affect them at all. However, even with SB100, there is the possibility that the cars will still be subject to biannual smog checks, as per sectiojn 44011 of the H&S code (the same code that they're attempting to mess with).

Health and Safety Code, section 44011.4.C: Any motor vehicle excepted by this paragraph shall be subject to testing and to certification requirements as determined by the department, if any of the following apply:
(i) The department determines through remote sensing activities or other means that there is a substantial probability that the vehicle
has a tampered emission control system or would fail for other cause a smog check test as specified in Section 44012.
(ii) The vehicle was previously registered outside this state and is undergoing initial registration in this state.
(iii) The vehicle is being registered as a specially constructed vehicle.

Your pal,
Meat.
flagsmall.jpg

So would cars be able to comply simply by using catalytic converters to reduce hydrocarbon concentrations to a certain threshold, or are there NOX standards that must be met as well? Is there any sort of a technical evaluation of projected emissions savings which supports the proposed legislation,or is it silent on the quantitative data?

Regards,
Mark
Air quality and air nazis - yet another reason why I'm not too envious of you guys in Cali

Wouldn't it have to have *all* smog equipment that is appropriate for the year of the engine (car, however it's determined)? California does a visual check as well as a tailpipe sniff. That means cat, closed crankcase, EGR, PCV, ... for newer engines.

As the soup nazi would say if he worked for the CARB, No Webers for you!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Toner:
Wouldn't it have to have *all* smog equipment that is appropriate for the year of the engine (car, however it's determined)? California does a visual check as well as a tailpipe sniff. That means cat, closed crankcase, EGR, PCV, ... for newer engines.

As the soup nazi would say if he worked for the CARB, No Webers for you!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. ALL smog equipment for the year of the car - not the engine - that's what the bill sponsors are going for. Which means that - even though a SPCN is now smog exempt if your register it properly - you will have to have all of the smog equipment for the year of the car. I should stress that the bill doesn't say that but that's what the bill sponsor told me the ultimate goal is.

Meat no likey Sen. Dean Florez.

Your pal,
Meat.

flagsmall.jpg

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: meat ]

California required a PCV valve/closed crankcase in 1965 (if not earlier. I'm certain they were required in 65 because my 65 Mustang had 'em). In 1966, they had additional requirements - a '66 Mustang from California had a thermactor pump. The rest of the country didn't start putting smog equipment on until 1968 or thereabouts.

So I guess the question is, would a '67 car have to meet 1967 California or federal requirements, or does it still depend on where the car was originally sold?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MK -IV J6:
One more reason to live in NY where it's still legal to drive my MK-IV, Lola, and P4 on the street.
Best
Jim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yeah ... they're not replicas!
grin.gif

Your pal,
Meat.

Back