Calling Quaife ZFQ Owners - Speedo Connection

Sorry to say I don't have any info on the speedo gear drive. I'm sure some one here on the forum can help. It was given to me by Lynn Miner a very early SPF GT-40 owner who had it left over after his SPF GT-40 build. If you do a search for him on this website you'll see just how much help and knowledge he provided all of use in the before time. As they say we all stand on the shoulders of giants. It's good sometime to give credit where credit is due.

Tim you cut some of the bottom of your trans off. Can you show us where and why?

Rick would you mind sharing with everyone. Has SPF changed their newer cars in some way? I've always thought sharing everything we know about these cars is the only way to improve everyone cars.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick would you mind sharing with everyone. Has SPF changed their newer cars in some way? I've always thought sharing everything we know about these cars is the only way to improve everyone cars.

Well, yes.

The ammeter has given way to a voltage gauge...not original but was requested by many. Of course there have been "upgrades" and "improvements".

The A/C system has relays to resolve the thermonuclear fan switch and the fuse blowing in 90 degree weather on the first drive with your wife....20 miles from home (ask me about that!)

A lot of small but significant changes, better wire layout and improved design. A better wiper motor gearing, revised this and that. All the things that you do as you take in issues and suggestions and respond to them.

Thanks Rick. Do you know when (car #) the A/C relay upgrade was done. I've never had a issue with that except the A/C isn't sufficient with all that glass. I did see a thread about window tinting that helped.

Oh ya the thread at hand well I really wasn't looking to do origami with my body today but my speedo hasn't work in years so I yanked it out. The gear drive was made by Arthur Allen J Mfg Inc. There wasn't a part number. However I found an issue with it. I had to make a short spacer to go on the business end otherwise it would bind up. Looking at the speedo from the back the cable turns anti-clockwise (That should make our friends from a crossed the pond happy). My odometer shows a whapping 1294 miles which is a bit less than I've driven the car.

Attachments

• 20160814_192050.jpg
    20160814_192050.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 20160814_192108.jpg
    20160814_192108.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 20160814_192259.jpg
    20160814_192259.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 193
NO We aren't even formally made aware of them. The dealer Lynn bought his car from shared a lot of the early non public service notes which was a big help to owners of early cars.

Last edited:
No would be my guess. Most of theses upgrades would be very difficult to install after the fact. Adding relays to help with undersized wire isn't hard to do yourself. I designed built and installed lots of upgrades SPF will never know about. Fix the problems you find and be creative. It's your car.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Are owners of the older cars without these fixes provided updates by SPF?

Mike and all.

Superformance (and by SPF I mean the distribution/sales company) has in most cases NO idea of who owns chassis GT40PXXXX as it may have been sold on 2-4 times since the original owner purchased it. A majority of those owners have not had any contact with the distributor or a dealer. I can't help with an issue I don't know about. Do they supply "free" upgrade parts? No. Do I supply free information, diagrams, instructions, etc.? Yes, when contacted and asked!

The early cars had all of the power to the HVAC blower routed through the rotary control fan switch. This caused the switch to get hot (damn hot on high!) and often blow the fuse for the HVAC blower. The factory added relays and offered a simple relay pack to resolve the issue. I personally installed it in P2171 and never had another problem with the fuse and switch as well as getting higher fan speeds due to reduction of resistance. They no longer have the relay kits but I do have a schematic I drew up. Making the relay pack is simple.

Point is- Find a dealer and introduce yourself. Yes, you likely didn't purchase the chassis from him but you will need parts someday and most dealers are happy to provide tech and product support for owners.

I'm still not sure whether or not:
a) The ZFQ and Smiths factory speedometer will work correctly (even if not calibrated) without adapters, and
b) Will there will be an adapter on the back of my speedo, should I dig into the dash?

Surely someone would know something about this combo.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Can't tell you how well it works with adapter(mine worked poorly without) but in 30 secs you can pull the fuse cover panel, stick a flashlight in there and see if you have one.

Tim you cut some of the bottom of your trans off. Can you show us where and why?

Richard,
The lowest bolt hole / tab on the Quaife was going to interfere with the lower subframe on the chassis. I took a grinder and cutting wheel to it and created clearance, being careful not to get into the face that sits just inside the bellhousing. See before and after pics.

It mates to the Quicktime bellhousing just fine now and doesn't touch anything else.

Attachments

• 27236819683_f2cd8eae9e_k.jpg
    27236819683_f2cd8eae9e_k.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 29010151795_67d8b15490_k.jpg
    29010151795_67d8b15490_k.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 29010144045_3fa00a7e49_k.jpg
    29010144045_3fa00a7e49_k.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 233
Don't remember doing it but I must have, I've slept since then.

Did you add the holes in the top of the bellhousing that lets you unbolt the trans without removing the bellhousing and or engine?

Attachments

• IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4479.JPG
    IMG_4479.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 213
Richard,
I didn't have to add holes. I can bolt/unbolt the Quaife as is. We just mated it to the bellhousing the other night. I'm using the Quicktime bellhousing, purchased from Olthoff.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The Quicktimes have the access holes included, the cast units do not and will need them added to allow transaxle removal without the bellhousing and therefore the horse collar cross member.

If someone can clearly identify the chassis numbers requiring an adapter at the transaxle and the part number and source for the adapter. I will add the information to the Wiring Diagrams near the Speedo. The adapter at the gauge is common on many of the SPF cars.
This goes for any other "bits" that have any connection to items shown on the Wiring Diagrams.
I have always tried to make the Wiring Diagrams for all the SPF & CSX cars repositories for owner information.
Email or post the info here, thanks.
Blas

Last edited:
The one at the back is only needed to adjust your speedometer readings to your rear axle ratio.The ZF's have a about 10 different ratios to pick from, from 3:20 to 5:13. Not sure about ZFQ. I think mine is a 3:80 but I'm not sure about that either. My speedometer didn't work long enough to see how accurate it was.

Unlike the old cars we are used to there isn't a little plastic gear on the end of the speedo cable the sticks into the trans that we can change. Yes there is a gear just inside the transaxle but as far as I know you can't change it. Maybe we should talk to Quaife about that.

Back