Car e-track tie-down recommendation

Can someone recommend an affordable e-track car tie-down? It's for my dads christmas present for tieing down his cobra. The problem with his is that the trailer is narrow so no side access, and with the harness style its difficult to feed into the tight fenders.

Thanks!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Open or enclosed trailer?
Presumed to be enclosed...
I screwed a couple 2x12 boards on the floor with wheel stop blocks at the front. This gave my Cobra enough clearance to get underneath and place a webbed “Axle Strap” over the lower control arm. Ratchet strap from there to the E-track or D-Ring in the floor.
Rear was tied down with two axle straps over the rear axle tubes at the Shock mounts. Ratchet straps in an “X” to get some good cross tie down support.

Alternatively, you may pass axle straps through the wheels at the front and ratchet strap to them.

Good info. Yep, enclosed. No damage can occur from strapping to the lower control arm? He was considering the axle straps instead, since cobra weight is such a small load. I think it was probably just the access that he had a problem with but I imagine the blocks would give the clearance. Makes sense that just strapping through the wheels would work, again since fairly low load.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Good info. Yep, enclosed. No damage can occur from strapping to the lower control arm? He was considering the axle straps instead, since cobra weight is such a small load. I think it was probably just the access that he had a problem with but I imagine the blocks would give the clearance. Makes sense that just strapping through the wheels would work, again since fairly low load.

No issues with my tubular control arms on the Cobra.
Tieing down from the vehicle’s frame to the trailer will cause you to try and compress the suspension.
The bad part about doing that is when you hit a large dip or bump, the suspension may compress even further, thereby causing your tie downs to momentarily go slack, then tighten again on the rebound.
I will say that I have seen a rally car come loose from its trailer when the only front tie down disconnected from the factory towing loop. That’s what convinced me to grab onto the wheels or outer extremities of the suspension.

One other tip -
Transmissions should be in neutral and parking brake set when towing..

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I all ways had a concern about the bounce/slack thing untill I set the Gopro and had a look on a rough 35 mile stretch north of town, the only way out of this godforsaken place. I was very surprised how smooth the car sat in the trailer.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
My suggestion would be to use 'tire straps' or 'tire nets' and secure THEM to the e-track.

'Allows the suspension to bounce up and down a bit...but, prevents the vehicle from moving side-to-side (laterally) as well as front-to-back (longitudinal) travel.

'Also eliminates the possibility of scuffing/marring/scratching the wheels which could happen if one chose to pass straps thru the wheel spokes.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The tire straps are great IF you can gain access around the tire. I use them, and love them, but would not be able to use them if I didn't have front/rear panels that hinge open to gain that access from above the tires. It appears Darin's Cobra lacks that "feature" we typically have with rear mid-engine projects. Enclosed trailers are great, but they do have some drawbacks.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The tire straps are great IF you can gain access around the tire...

Are you referring to the space available to put one's BUTT between the tires/wheels on the car and the wall of the trailer?

If so, there's a way around that, too... ;)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I went through several perturbations on tie-down set-ups, and eventually stopped with a tire straps where I e-track one end of the tire, strap over the top, and ratchet e-track on the other side of the tire, then drop and latch the bodywork back in place when everything is cinched down. No more roller idlers and long straps...very compact. Nothing like the KISS methodology. Takes a whole lot less time to do and undo it all. After finding the right location for the car, I set e-chocks in place to make it repeatable, and reinforced the track mounting specific to the location of the four wheels. I had to mix/match the ratchet straps though because this setup needs really short ratchet straps (6" or less) to keep the ratchet off the tire, and still clear any close bodywork around the tires.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
If I've interpreted what you just described correctly, I believe you've outlined what I had in mind...or darned close to it.

IOW - where there's a will there's a way!

Back