Supporter

Attachments

• 001side_b.jpg
    001side_b.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 812

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
That is a nice looking carb. Prices look about $1300usd which, by the time you get done with one I'll be you have that into a regular holley. It is a dAM shame however that they can't make the fuel bowls billet too, very nicely done in any case.

Another good thing is that the pic shows that it uses the old style linkage, not just the link bar for the secondaries. I have 2 830 Holley's and one has this style, the new one has the link bar. I can't say which works better but it looks like the older style would be smoother with the roller style.

Also interesting is it looks like that they rate the same carb from 500hp-750hp.

Sandy

Last edited:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Flatchat -

Just got off the phone with John at dAM. Very nice guy, I have one on order for the mustang. The 358 Dirt Model. I'll get it on the dyno vs. the new out of the box 830 Holley as soon as the engine guy gets going on the mustang motor. The design is very interesting, and after chatting with him had me sold. He said that his carbs are good for 30hp vs. similar holley version, but was fanatical about the better driveability and response his carb supplies. I also asked what it would cost to rework my 830 holley Nextel carb and he said about $750, and it would still not be as good as one of his. The fuel bowls are aluminum castings, and he said are very good as well. If you are going to get a good Holley, and have it worked, your cost will be likely the same or more, but not as good as he stated.

Thanks for spending more of my money that my wife could have spent! ;)

Sandy

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Great! Sandy, I'll be watching this space for your test results -- with much interest , as I believe this carby has a "patented" more efficient fuel atomising device ? which equals to more power and driveability -- just hope I can get a carby manifold for the LS6

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Also forgot to post for Ron that it is 4 lbs lighter then the Holley (I know you got one already)

I think the motor is coming together this week so will be soon, if the engine guy finishes off the machine work...

Sandy

flatchat said:
-- just hope I can get a carby manifold for the LS6

If you’re looking for a dual plane style manifold for your LS motor, Edelbrock has one available under part number 7118. They also have a taller, single plane “Victor Jr.” style manifold available under part number #2908. Both of these are available with special electronics that allow the stock coil pack ignition to function in carbureted applications.

If hood clearance is an issue AND for some reason you don’t want to utilize a multi-coil crank trigger style ignition system, consider this one:
GM Performance Parts | Find a Performance Part

along with these special front cover/distributor drive/water pump components available from Wegner Automotive Research Wegner Automotive - Product Catalog

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Chris -

Got the carb from damBest, and all I can say is that it is a work of art, now will it run...

It came with a CD that gives a ton of good info on how holley based carbs work, how to tune them, etc.

I called to ask a question and was out of the office and the fellow (John) called back about 5 times during the day to check and see what I needed. He was very persuasive to listen to the disk before asking more questions. I now know that I will leave the carb reworks to the experts! He was very interesting to talk to and definitly a bit out of his mind I think (In a scientific / intelligent way)...

Hopefully soon will get that on the dyno, and if I can't get it soon on that I'll be yanking the carb off the Mustang (830 Nextel'is that runs fair at best on the engine combination I have) and see how it works. One thing that he was very vocal about was that the Dyno is ok, but his experiance is that it does not often equate to faster lap time if the numbers are bigger on one carb vs. the other. It's the overall drivability that does the bigger gains. I may also have misquoted I think he said his carbs are good for more torque across the powerband in the 30ftlb range no Hp, doesn't really matter as long as it works better the one out of the box!

Sandy

Last edited:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Nope not much movement, the fricking builder just started working on the block to seat the sleeves. He has had all the parts since for 10 months. I have a weekly call in now. If it does not get running before the next track day I'll likely put in on the Mustang and see how it works. So not much yet. I do expect it to work pretty well, but would like to see the numbers. It is an interesting carb. It looks like the airhorn is a seperate part from the main body. Overall construction is very nice.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Chris -

Got the DamBest carb on the Mustang on the last day of track running. Ran a Holley 830 pro series carb and had in general sluggish performance and on/off like operations (not quite that bad). It is the DamBest 358 Open Dirt Rule carb and started off bad as I could not get it to idle. Then after a bit of fiddling with the throttle position and mixture screws got it to run without sucking fuel from the main boosters. Much snapper then the Holley that was on it (which was always a seemed like a problem to me). On the track a noticeable difference. Much smoother response, less light switch like. Also seem to carry a bit more power when 'corkey the shifter' was not keeping the RPM's on the pipe so to speak. One thing that was interesting was the amount of popping in the exhaust. I broke a motor mount bolt and poked a small hole in one of the tubes of the header a while ago (still not fixed), since then always had some fuel lighting off when down shifting. The DamBest carb seemed to make that happen more, sounds likely more fuel being delivered at high vacuum, but I might have it totally backwards. I need to give John a call and ask a few questions. One thing is that I did not have a new set of spark plugs to try to see how it looked and after a weekend of the 'fat' Holley so I don't think they would tell much. I'm still going to try to get it on to the Dyno vs. a new out of the box 830 HP Series carb and will see how that goes. Overall impress so far was positive, looks mighty fine too.

Sandy

just my opinion, but stan justice at stallion racing, arca/nascar carb guy, makes a great carburetor.

rd

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Chris -

Got the carb on the track for the full day, and it worked great except I need to do a bit more tune on the mid range fuel bleed if I'm saying that right. The car idles great now, just on decel the carb is still pulling some fuel out the mains (In the cobra club video you can hear a lot of rumbling from the fuel on down shifts). Called monday, got a call back in about 5 minutes telling me to put a bleed in the metering block and give it a go. Other then that much more responsive then the stock 830 Nascar carb.

Sorry to take so long to get back, but the builder has still not finished the other engine. Only been a year or so :)

If you do order one be ready for all the details on the motor that will help.

Sandy

Back