CAV GT40 Question

If a CAV GT40 has #1036 on the MSO does anyone know what number car built that would be? Car is in California and registered under the SB100 so don't know if they remove the vin plate or seller just can't find it as appears CAV has put them in different places over the years.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Remove the front bonnet and lift the front body work. On the driver's right side coil shock top bracket you'll see a number stamped on the top. Mine reads VIN1A40MONOB66. This decodes to number 40 mono chassis. Hope this helps.

Re: CAV VIN#

I understand that this topic has been posted before but I still cannot find the answers to my questions.

What doe the top row of letters and number in the CAV VIN# stand for, and:

1) why is the number in the top row always 15 higher than the number in the second row? Example: If the VIN is 1A42MONO66B why is the top number CAV0057? Were there an initial 15 pieces built which are not production pieces, or were the first 15 pieces tubular frames? Or what?

2) Following the top number is another 3 digit number like 300 or 301. What does this mean?

3) In the VIN# the first digit is normally a "1". Does this mean USA, and a "2" mean Canada?

4) What does the "A" mean.....I heard this signified an Audi gearbox?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Back