Centerline of G50/52???

Guys,

Are the drive hubs on the G50/52 symmetrical about the centerline of the transaxle?

That is, should the distance from the drive flange to the chassis well be the same on each side? Another way to ask the question might be: Should the length of the half shafts be the same on each side?

Thanks,

As I recall...Sabre called out same axles for both sides.
Lynn should be able to answer that.
The Dana slide/yoke assembly allows a LOT of tolerance,
so you don't have to be exact.

MikeD

1) Have talked to him already. Lynn has a G50 mounted. Donnelly provided the transaxle rear mount on his car.

2) Still needed data, so I posted here.

Thanks,

Your probably best off simply measuring yourself
once the drivetrain is in place. If your stub axles have
ABS wheels, make sure they're removed before you install
in the uprights. Welding the axle tubes without measuring is risky.

MikeD

The construction of the half shafts is not the issue. They have lots of slip joint movement possible.

The issue really is how does one locate the center line of the transaxle ... and are the drive flanges symmetrical about the centerline.

(At first measurement, it appears that the engine mounts may have been installed as much as 1/2" offset to the left front he centerline of the chassis. That's the only thing I can't fix easily if it really is screwed up. The position of the tail of the transaxle I can move, but I need to know where to move it to!)

Mike

If your engine mounts are fixed, then I'd simply install the tranny and position it so the engine block is installed square. The tranny tail may not land perfectly on the centerpoint of the rear crossmember...but that's OK.
You should make sure you can move the tranny tail
a small amount in both side-to-side directions.

Squaring the engine by measuring the drive flange face to chassis rail may not work..the engine mounts may not
be positioned exactly right...or the flanges may not
be exactly equal from the tranny centerline...or both!
Most important thing is for the flanges to be parallel
to the chassis centerline. Good luck.

MikeD

Chris Duncan

Supporter
The flanges are absolutely symmetrical. The input shaft is dead center between the flanges. This is desirable especially with higher horsepower. If your axles are different lengths you get different rates of twisting which leads to torque steer. You can really see this on front wheel drive cars when the axles are drastically different lengths.

From personal experience this does not necessarily mean that the engine is mounted dead center between the wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back