Chassis’ in order BEST TO WORST

Andrew

Supporter
I'm 38 but unfortunately work / family / life commitments just wouldn't allow me to build a car in the time frame I'd be comfortable with. I've had projects that take 10+ years before and they don't sit well with me these days

I'm 38 but unfortunately work / family / life commitments just wouldn't allow me to build a car in the time frame I'd be comfortable with. I've had projects that take 10+ years before and they don't sit well with me these days

I hear that. I’m 39 with a 4 and 7 year old so garage time is difficult. I find that I’m much less sympathetic of wasted time and redoing things. My rcr40 will force me to take some time off following completion.

39 ish….. 5 and 8 year old's to wake me up in the morning. I dropped the molds off at the fiber-gassers a week before #2 popped out. hopefully I will make a start on chassis number 2 - a monocoque by mid year. I got the FAV plans on the 8th of August 2017, so its been tacking a while to convert it to CAD and understand all the details of the original. It will be more accurate car as a result of it.

Started when I was 39, we had twins when I was 18 months into the project, (self designed monocoque GT40). Finally got it on the road 7.5 years later (in 1997). Likewise was worth the wait, as were the twins! Wouldn't have changed anything.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Ryan, i'm hoping you understand that there are several plains that exist, let alone levels, above having a clutch of supposed drawings
on which to base judgements.
And then there is the question of available resources, of all persuasions. But i guess it can be a journey.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Oh...…. oh...……..……………………...maybe 70 is the new 50...…………………………..When I turned about 64ish I just didn't have those 10 hour days in me anymore. So I guess what I am saying is, if you are young then you may not have as many days that you can build your car due to work, family, etc. but you can catch up on the weekends with a full and long day of building and a few mid week short sprints after work. But as you get into your 60's it might be better to buy the car at least some what complete and get right to driving it before your body just doesn't want to work out on the cold concrete floor for years on end.

Then there is the other thing...…………….. The car you "thought" you wanted to drive at 35, the 700hp rocket one, isn't what you really want to drive when you are 65. The hands just don't work that fast 30 years later and the eyes can see a damn thing!

Either way the entire hobby is a wonderful journey.

As far as what car? I really believe that all the major manufactures offering cars today are pretty far along the development curve and are selling a car that really is well conceived. In other words at this point in time you really can't buy a bad design from the current crop of gt40 "kits".

Neil

Supporter
You must allow yourself a vacation from building the car now and then or you will eventually find yourself burned out and not enjoying it any longer. Pace yourself.

Re the space frames, you get what you pay for. Is it tigged, migged, or stick welded? How square? How flat? Are the pieces CNC cut? What kind of design went into it, newer theories or another copy of something in the 60's? They can be overengineered also. Too much for what people want to pay. I have JBL. Fits into the latter categories. But I wouldn't have it any different:).

And the time it takes to put one together correctly is another consideration. Buying parts, waiting for arrival, shipping charges, some taxes, mistakes....... The right tools.......

It's amazing really what the major manufacturers put together in the way of high performance vehicles nowadays. Engineering vs. cost.

Back