Checking the obvious.

Here is an interesting one. A buddy asked if I could have a look at his 1970 Mini Cooper that was running badly. I told the guy that it would take me ten minutes to fix. Me and my big mouth! On day one I changed the normal stuff. Plugs, points, condenser, filters etc. Checked timing, dwell, mixture. On day two I removed and stripped the carb, distributor, fuel pump. Set everything up according to the book. Day three did most of what I had already done again as I was no closer to fixing the misfiring. Day four did the carb again for good measure and more of what I had already done twice. Day five tracked down another Mini and swapped his carb, distributor, plug leads, jets, float bowls and the rest.

Just before throwing a match in the fuel tank I put in four old spark plugs I had lying around and bingo. Fixed! Three of the brand new NGK pugs were faulty. They sparked fine when tested but were breaking down when used in anger.

They were new plugs so why would I try another set. Dont be silly. New plugs cant be faulty.
50 hours work for a two minute fault.
You live and learn!!!!!!!!!

Back