Classic Car Developments Chassis #3

Brian Stewart
Supporter
A little more progress. Steering pretty much done, alternator bracket made and fitted, as is the heat shield.

Steering rack.jpg
Column.jpg
Bracket.jpg
S Wheel.jpg
Shield.JPG

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Steering column serial numbered and sent away to be crack tested for certification.

Column.jpg

When one is 76 inches tall, fitting into a car only 40 inches high was never going to be easy. However, with some trimming here and there and locating it 75 mm further forward and a fraction more to the left than it was designed to be, the pedal box is trial fitted. The good news is that my legs end up at a comfortable angle. Now we just have to figure out how to route the speedo cable, hand-brake cable, and the plumbing for clutch and brake hoses in a cavity that is half the size it originally was...

Box.jpg

Brian Stewart
Supporter
So,with the hubs done we were able to trial fit the wheels and check caliper clearance. To everyone's astonishment the wheels actually fit within the bodywork (just). Absolutely elated!
Blanks.jpg
Hubs.jpg
Rear.jpg
Caliper.jpg
Side 1.jpg
First time with all four wheels on. Doesn't look shabby.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Question:
Are my eyes deceiving me, is it some optical illusion, or has there been some modification done to the 'slope' of the back section of the car?

Compare your photo to this:

imgp.php

Am I just seeing things, or what?

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Question:
Are my eyes deceiving me, is it some optical illusion, or has there been some modification done to the 'slope' of the back section of the car?

Compare your photo to this:

imgp.php

Am I just seeing things, or what?

Larry, thats funny - I was thinking the same.....

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
LARRY,

I THINK YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING...... HOWEVER MY EYE SIGHT IS NOT WHAT IT WAS 40 YEARS AGO...

Neither is mine...which is one of the reasons I asked!
Just today I handed my local optical shop the prescription my eye doc wrote yesterday. 'Might have the new glasses by next Monday. The Thanksgiving holiday prevents getting 'em any sooner.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
It's partly camera angle (I'm tall), but you might be asking the wrong question Larry. Perhaps it should be "Has there been some modification done to the slope of the car in the picture you posted?" It looks to me like a Superformance, which may differ from the original MKII rear. Here (below mine) is a pic of the original XGT-2, albeit from a much lower angle. The slope looks reasonably close mine (in my opinion). I know that my rear clip was cast from a mould that was used to make original MKII clips back in the day.
Side 1.jpg

XGT-2.jpg

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
xgt-2-jpg.95619

This photo confirms there's a definite diff between SPFs rear deck 'slope' and yours. No question. (Run a horizontal line along the BOTTOM of the passenger window AFT to the rear deck spoiler. The base of the spoiler is clearly BELOW that line on yours...and ABOVE that line on the SPF.)

SUPPOSEDLY the SPF is an exact copy of one original MK II or another...as is yours evidently if your info is correct. YOURS 'flows better' visually 'far as I'm concerned...at least in the photo above anyway.

I have to wonder, though, if someone wanted to run dual 4s or an 8 stack setup on a 427 F.E. in a MK II, would there be enough vertical clearance for either induction setup at the rear of the engine (because of the steeper angle of the rear window) if that car employed your style rear deck???

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I'm puzzled! How can you pass judgment Walt, when you have to type in UPPER CASE in order to see what you put on the site? but at the same time recognize a beautiful car.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Brian,
"Too shabby" ???
I bet you are absolutely chuffed to see her on wheels and that shell looking as perfect as originally intended.
Great job !

Back