Classics revealed: The Ford GT40 rides again

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Published on Dec 12, 2012

Video featuring GT40 MKI and MKII.

image002-1.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFz7OVmDsTM]Classics revealed: The Ford GT40 rides again - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Keith

Nice video but I gave up after 7 minutes - too many historical inaccuracies and convenient omissions.

Perhaps it got better but I was not motivated to watch it further.

Shows the cars off well though...

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Nice video but I gave up after 7 minutes - too many historical inaccuracies and convenient omissions.

Perhaps it got better but I was not motivated to watch it further....

Nope, it doesn't, but look at it this way: you watch the whole thing and you're getting the full SPF sales treatment without having to fly to Irvine, including an introduction to Carroll Shelby necrophilia. What? You didn't know that ole Shel conceived, designed and built the GT-40 Mk II entirely on his own because Ford didn't know how to do it? He personally bolted that top-loader onto the transaxle.

Speaking of convenient omissions, let's hear more about the customer stripping his down to the tub and buildling it back up.... why would someome want to do that? :laugh:

(BTW please don't send this video to the CA Highway patrol, they really don't like California cars with Oregon plates. They even have a web form for reporting them: Contact The CHP)

Speaking of convenient omissions, let's hear more about the customer stripping his down to the tub and buildling it back up.... why would someome want to do that?

I would think Superformance must not be too pleased with that comment either. Makes it sound like it was not a finished product.

Yep!, full SPF treatment but I can't say I blame Lance as he is a salesman but the biggest issue for me......the reporter. Not impressed, bit of a tool to me.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
My Opinion

Those who bother to read some of the preceding rubbish may be fooled into believing that the authors possess the qualifications, credibility, credentials, or the intellect to diminish the lifetime of work of such honest, hardworking, successful, and intelligent people as Mr. Carroll Shelby and Mr. Lance Stander.

Some may wrongly assume those critics founded their own more successful companies, created their own video presentations, or were themselves as famous a racecar driver as Carroll Shelby attained during his lifetime. Or, that they possess inside factual and truthful knowledge that Carroll Shelby was not thee driving force that was the deciding factor in the GT40s winning many of the first three positions in four consecutive years at Le Mans. Or, that they have more personal knowledge about the construction of the original GT40s, that somehow exceeds that of either Carroll Shelby or Lance Stander.

Nothing could be further from the truth, since most don't even own a fine vehicle like a SPF GT40, and none have a record of creating and operating a large scale multi faceted business as Lance and Carroll have, nor producing a published video production for marketing their products, since they have not created any such videos or products either. Their lives are perhaps unremarkable, and rather than admire or attempt to learn from the remarkable successful individuals, they may just be making meager attempts at casting aspirations on the great success of Carroll and Lance, both of whom they are apparently envious and jealous of.

It takes a special kind of individual to attack the credibility and success of a deceased person unable to answer false accusations, doesn't it Alan?

In my opinion, such negative and despicable activities amount to nothing more than drivel emanating from the mouths of unremarkable individuals who seldom have anything positive to contribute, are more interested in feeding their egos, and none of whom are worthy enough to wipe the dirt off of the shoes of the people they attempted, but failed to discredit.

Robert

Keith

That's all very funny stuff. I like the cars. If I could afford one I would buy one tomorrow but when you're faced with a comment that "They made the shift lever on the right so that Americans, used to left hand drive, would feel more comfortable in the car" what, as an enthusiast, would you expect me to say?

I mean really. What a load of tripe. And that's only one daft statement by someone who knows differently. Are they trying to impress an "uninformed" American market? If so, I believe that the video is insulting to the buyer's intelligence.

As for the chicken farmer, enough has been said by better people. He was once my hero and I have owned several of his cars at a time when it was not fashionable, they were worth next to nothing and no one ever bought one for "an investment". How about 25 years ago I owned a '67 GT350 and a '68 GT500? Total purchase price for the two in "showroom" condition was $12,000 at today's exchange rates. I think I may have achieved a small profit when I sold them but I used them as daily drivers... Brilliant!

PS I had to knock down the price a little because they were right hand shift... :rolleyes:

Robert I think your response is a bit over the top - do you actually agree with the misinformation and pure bollocks spouted on that video? What are you afraid of - a declining "asset?"

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Are they trying to impress an "uninformed" American market? If so, I believe that the video is insulting to the buyer's intelligence."

They are certainly trying to impress a market while being uninformed. As for any insults to the intelligence of the buyer, Robert's spittle-specked reply demonstrates a buyer not insulted by the nonsense in the video, but in fact entirely taken in by it. Lot's of time to spew paragraphs of venom, but no time to read any Ford or Shelby history. Or even to read this forum with any real comprehension.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Robert,

Re read this part of your post, and i would like to hear how you have managed to re write the history books, answer please....
"Or, that they possess inside factual and truthful knowledge that Carroll Shelby was not thee (sic) driving force that was the deciding factor in the GT40s winning many of the first three positions in four consecutive years at Le Mans. "

Well. you accuse people of 'denigrating' the reputations of your boosom buddies...
Tell me, what input did Shelby have with regards the wins in 1968 & 1969........
Hello, i'm still waiting for a reply.....I'll give you a clue...."GULF TEAM " rings a bell????
Nothing to do with Ford , sunshine...
I guess the Team Principal - John Wyer and the Chief Engineer ( a personal aquaintance of mine )John Horsmann, i guess all their efforts were to no avail.... Yer right.
It seems you are guilty as you accuse others. Pot calling keetle springs to mind here..
It might have escaped your diligent attention to detail, that John Wyer & John Horsmann STOOD SHELBY'S PHILOSOPHY ON IT'S HEAD, by reverting to small block engines..
And with small block engines won.
You'd think that 2 years after 1966, the idea that big blocks where the way forward, would have been borne out, but i'm sorry , no, as 1968 & 1969 testify, its perceived wisdom that the small blocks had a good case all along.
I know the regs were changed, but no one can deny that the small blocks had a case, especially as they 'in fact' recorded faster lap times on several occasions than big block equipped cars in the same qualifying race.
So Robert, free advice, in your case, you don't have the contacts to meet the men involved in the era, safe bet is to spend some money on some good books...
I rest my case your honour.
Muppet.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I seem to recall (I believe from Horsman's wonderful book, but possibly from one of the Shelby acolyte books) that when Carroll Shelby first became involved in the GT40 program he was insultingly dismissive of John Wyer's approach to racing in general and team management in particular.

Wyer's and Horsman's subsequent accomplishments were certainly the last word in that battle of ideologies.

Keith -- I don't know how far into the video you got, and I'm not recommending you revisit it, but closer to the end Lance explains that after the '66 and '67 wins, Ferrari had the formula changed to one limited to 5 liters.

IAE, the video is a clear demonstration of the principle that a little knowledge is dangerous. Too bad such a fine product is sold in such a low-brow fashion. Aside from being an insult to any reasonably educated buyer, it's an insult to the product itself and the legacy left by the people that produced the original cars and engineered their successes.

Keith

Yes, exactly that Al.

Unfortunately, that appears to be the very same brush I have been tarnished with for all the wrong reasons. A bit 1984 if you ask me.

Is this the same Robert that bombarded us with Bible extracts?

If so, it is a little Unchristian of you Sir.

I did know about the 5 litre limit following the MKII & MKIV victories but i had no idea that it was motivated by Ferrari (what am I saying - of course it was!) In that case it was probably in JH's racing in the Rain.

Interestingly Alan Mann who was No. 1 God in Ford's eyes in Europe because of his winning philosophies with such as Galaxies, Fairlanes, Falcons and a clutch of European Fords, and eschewed the principal of lightweight cars including lightweight engines. It went against the grain to campaign a MKII but he did so albeit unwillingly. The whole experience finished him off in motor racing which was a shame because he was certainly one of the most successful Ford teams ever.

He built the lightweight versions and consequently his philosophy was proved with 1075 and later, the Mirages.

To me, he was always an unsung hero of the program..

To be fair, the 7 litre program worked and that was what the doctor ordered, however, the 4.7 could have done it much earlier if the engine could keep this gaskets in it. Poor head design was ignored by Ford but was the main cause of failures (along with transmissions). I believe the British teams ran Cooper Rings in theirs to try and combat the problem but it wasn't until Harry Weslake came up with the ali ones that stuff started to happen. The bottom end of the 289 was well up to the job.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Keith,

You are being really unfair here.
What with all your talk of Cooper Rings etc, poor old
Robert will be reaching for the Bible and turning to 'Revelations'

:laugh:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Boy you guys are uptight.

Must be the Holidays.

That reminds me....that guy jesus? He was a huge self-promoter from day one. He never gave the three kings the credit they deserve for kick-starting his career with their early investments. And the guys that really got the job done in terms or evangelizing the brand were Paul, Peter, mark, John and Luke whom He attracted through His salesmanship skills. So let's stop with this myth that it was all done by one guy. It was a team effort.

I believe the correct term is "Angel Investors."

That reminds me....that guy jesus? He was a huge self-promoter from day one. He never gave the three kings the credit they deserve for kick-starting his career with their early investments. And the guys that really got the job done in terms or evangelizing the brand were Paul, Peter, mark, John and Luke whom He attracted through His salesmanship skills. So let's stop with this myth that it was all done by one guy. It was a team effort.

Back