cleveland casting numbers decoding

Could someone tell me which model of Cleveland these casting number refer to?

P1010173.jpg

P1010177.jpg

many thanks

PS that's 9m30 on the cylindre head

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Strange, but when I locate my cursor on the thread I get a photobucket link that doesn't seem to be in your post.

Those sound like date codes to me. I'd guess the 9 is 1969, the M is December and the 30 is the 30th. Dec. 30th, 1969.

That's just a guess, though--hopefully someone else will chime in. There is probably a different code on the head, too, that would tell more.

One thing that would help is if you can tell us whether the heads are machined for adjustable rockers or whether they just have the stock pedestal rocker mounts. Those would be Boss 302/Boss 351 heads. Large ports or small ports (even the "small" 2V intake ports are pretty large)? American heads or Australian heads (your profile doesn't list your location)?

Doug

Ok, are you seeing an image at all?

if not, the code on the engine is 9M23 with DOAE-J above it, the cylindre head is cast with 9M30

The engine is a 351 cleveland from a 74 Mustang (I was told possibly a mach 1) and I don't know if the heads are machined or not. I'm trying to figure out what "code" the engine would be, and what power it should produce (I know the casting no's aren't always correct, but theres no engine number to go on)

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Nope, no image and no link in the post. The only way I see the Photobucket link is when I put the cursor on the post listing to open it, nothing in the post works to give me an image.

That DOAE-J is the number we can research to figure out the application for the head. If I can't get the info, I'm sure others can. We do have a few Cleveland and Clevor fans on the forum.

Those heads could be either the 2V or 4V open chamber heads. Turn them over and look at the combustion chamber--is it an open design or a quench design? If it's a quench design, there's a fair chance they could be machined for adjustable rockers--those would be necessary for solid lifters like used in the Boss motors. By 1974 Ford had stopped making the quench chambered Cleveland heads and was only producing the open chambered heads. It was an emissions related concession.

If the heads are factory pedastal rocker heads, there will be a "slot" that locates/positions the pedastal, which locates the rocker arm and the head will NOT be machined for a spring cup. Those would not be the desirable sort--again, unless they are Australian heads. The Aussies had quench chambered Cleveland heads much longer than we did here in the U.S. (and probably in many different incarnations) and so all bets are off if the heads are Australian.

If you plan on driving it much on the street, you want the small port heads. The large port heads flow massive amounts at high RPM's, but at low RPM's their port velocity is so low that they don't fill the cylinders very well and the 4V Open Chambered "HO" heads had almost NO low end torque.

Do you have the rest of the engine? The intake manifold? The VIN plate? I think the 351C "HO" motors have a Q code on the VIN plate.

Doug

Its a 1970 block casting with 2 bolt mains, heads are for hyd lifters only and if you look at the combustion chamber and it is virtually the same dia as the head gasket I think you will find its an open chamber 2v small port head job.

Jac Mac

Back