Coilover "Hats" - Availabiity for Thicker ones?

Ron Earp

Admin
Not sure what the proper word is for these, coil over hats?

conicalhat.jpg

Anyhow, I'd like to get some that are thicker that would raise the ride height. They've be convenient for popping into place for loading the car on the trailer, or street use, and then popping them out for track use. Spring ID is 2.5" and I've got enough droop to fit them in place. I'm visualizing something like this:

Attachments

• springthingy.jpg
    springthingy.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 229

Ron Earp

Admin
Oh, I forgot to mention - they'd need to have a slot in the side to put them on the shock. The hats I show in the picture DO NOT have a slot so you'd have to unbolt the shock to put them in place thus making them more trouble than they'd be worth. Let me find a picture....

Attachments

• springthingywslot.jpg
    springthingywslot.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 204
Re: Coilover "Hats" - Availability for Thicker ones?

Ron, don't know if this would interest you but I have some 1" lift rams that were swapped out for the new 40mm. I will make you a deal if interested.
You can run these at extended height and then drop it when you get to the track.

Regards,

Simon

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Another approach to the problem would be to leave the hat as-is, and add a spacer underneath it. Just what you've drawn but with a cylindrical top that mimics the spring and fits the bottom of the hat. Spacers like this are common, made of urethane or aluminum, but seem not to be provided with damper-rod slots. I'd hesitate to cut slots into a urethane spacer for fear it would "spread" (although it is surrounded by the spring at the bottom), but would think it would be fine with an aluminum one.

Of course if you still have enough droop you might worry about the spacer "coming loose". I can imagine using those two holes in your existing hats to tie the spacer to the hat.

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
The hats shown are not mine. Mine have slots in them to get them on and off easily.

Simon, what is a ram lift?

Ron, it is a electric / hydraulic system to raise and lower your car.
I will make you a sweet deal on this 1" system.
Have a look at the site and look at the customers cars page.
RAMLIFTPpro.com

Simon

Never seen any off the shelf, looked for some but never found any, ended up making some a while back that went the other way (were shorter to slide in for smooth race use, then standard ones went back on for rougher tracks)

Back