Cold air intake (race only)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's my idea. Given I don't think that this is the BEST idea, just the one that I can do without a lot of work. This is the maximum size duct that will fit between the roll cage hoops without dropping below the tubing plane. The air that does end up in the engine room is more to add outside air at speed and not to pressurise a air box.

I haven't decided yet to add venting on the engine cover. If I do it will be a couple of NACA ducts along the sides, near the top of the car.

By the way, the cross section of the ducting is about 150% of a 5 inch diameter circle. The inlet of Holley carbs is basically 5 inches in diameter. If I did seal it I think it would work without starving the carb of air.

Attachments

• HPIM1319.jpg
    HPIM1319.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 314
  • HPIM1320.jpg
    HPIM1320.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 361
  • HPIM1324.jpg
    HPIM1324.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 318
Guys
the issue is the fact that the volume of air flowing into the standard duct is less than one may realise ...due to the angle of the windshield and the deflection of the air from it shooting up and over the stock duct location....there is sufficient flow for pass through cooling air but not enough in feed a fire breathing big hp engine/airbox

If the leading edge of the duct is moved forward to catch the air as its deflected from the windscreen then a much higher % will enter the duct...

If the compound curved poly race only windshield is used there is a far greater amount of airflow into the duct, the poly screen does not deflect the air in the same way and the airflow stay attached to the surface much better...creating better flow characteristics.

Keep in mind that we have done MASSES of CFD modelling on the SLC so this is not just an opinion...its been proven with math modelling...

I do seem to be banging my head and repeating myself a little on this topic though....

Howard, my plan is do something similar to yours with some ducting there, but more for water issues than anything else. I want to make sure the cabin will stay nice and dry if I get rained on. I was thinking something similar to what you have, but maybe even just a flat piece and fiberglass it in so it does not leak on the inside. I have not taken mine off and flipped it upside down and put the cf roof cover on it yet see how much there really is. I plan on taking air in from the side vents and figure out where to mount my oil and trans coolers, prob at the back now. I do plan on painting the car so maybe a bigger scoop and feed the air into the filters somehow could work. I think it could look good if done right as it fits the car and period of time the car was based on. This also agrees with Frans aero analysis I would think.

Maybe GT-one style
1999-toyota-gt-one-le-mans-race-car_100367195_m.jpg

2204523435_8c4e419f2b.jpg

Howard Jones

Supporter
It's funny that you guys came up with the same two pictures of the Lola and the Dome. Both ideas were seriously considered on my part. The Dome version would be the most difficult, and more than likely the most efficient IMO. The roof would need to be completely re contoured.

The Lola idea could be done by mounting it on the rear cover or even making a replacement window piece with a scoop integrated onto it. That's the last idea I had that seamed to be the least work. Just replace the window with a scoop. I didn't do it because I thought it would look wrong with the existing roof scoop still in place and a second big F5000 scoop behind it.

For my car I am just trying to add airflow into the engine room for cooling. Fran, good to hear that the lexan windshield will work better for my application . That was easy!

By the way Fran, what would wheel cover (fender) vents cost for a pair?

Back