Compact Size Battery

I've been looking for a compact size battery and came accross these guys - 1st Optima Battery Sales www.1st-optima-batteries.com

Little bit of info on them:

#Delivers higher peak amps faster than conventional batteries
# Provides up to twice the life of conventional batteries
# More consistent voltage across the discharge curve
# Superior cold and hot weather performance vs. conventional batteries
# Available in models with SAE posts, stainless threaded studs, or both
# Spill-proof, even if the case is physically ruptured
# Will not off-gas in normal operation, eliminating fumes, odor & corrosion
# Over 14x more shock and vibration resistant than conventional batteries
# Provides more power from a smaller package
# True zero maintenance
# Holds charge better during periods of nonuse
# Operates in any position without spilling
# Offers proven durability & performance (Read testimonials)
# Shipped out same-day if ordered by 2 p.m. Central Time
# Arrives charged and ready to use
# Free shipping in the U.S. 48 states

Chris

Attachments

• 70451-OptimaBattery_01.jpg
    70451-OptimaBattery_01.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 265
Howard - is the pic of your car? If so they I assume that it must work well?

Let me know, I'm interested in purchasing in the near future.

Chris

Chris - Shop around some before you buy; there's a retailer in our area that frequently sells the red top starting optimas for less than $100. I think I have six currently and have had great luck with them.
Brad

Howard Jones

Supporter
Yes it is, I made the housing so that the battery drops right in. I got it from:

West Coast Batterys Inc.
P.O. Box332
Atwood Calif. 92811
888-379-2555

www.odysseybatteries.com

Mine is the 925T it's about 7" X 7" X 5" 23 pounds. 925 cranking amps for 5 seconds and 765 amps for 20 secs.

Starts my 302 just fine. Its 9.5 to 1. I could have gone with a smaller battery really the 680MJT would have worked well enough. Check out their webpage. The Holleys are the same thing as are others that look the same. The odyssey's are the least expensive.

I think I called it an optima in the first post it's not it's an odyssey.

You can see from the picture that it is three years old. Still works like new. I have never run it down and it has never need to be charged. I think the guy who sold it to me said they can hold 80% charge for 2 years if without load.

Orginally came form snowmobiles. Those guys needed a battery to sit for 7 months a year and then have plenty of life for two or three months a year without going bad from being unused. Mine was about 160 bucks I think. Worth the money.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I would endorse Howards comments on batteries. I also use an Odyssey which has an appropriate automatic trickle charger as part of the car cocoon system. The battery handbook gives a " minimum and a do not exceed" voltage charging system of 14.2v and 15v so I specified a gel charger with those parameters when buying the cocoon. My Ducati has likewise. I recall the price was around £100 for the battery which broadly equates to Howards price in $. It's just brilliant and very small compared with normal lead acid of the same cranking power.
Cannot be faulted.

Thanks guys, had a look at the Odyssey's, boy the are small! The specs are impressive for such a small unit. I haven't got much room in the front, looks like this battery will work out great.

Chris

Hello Chris,

I assume that you want to install your battery in the front. With the radiator pipes in the middle of the car (MDA) we really have not much room for a battery. Till know I have not found a suitable battery that would fit. But what if we would take two small batteries, placed right and left of the pipes? Any thoughts about that?

Reinhard

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I used an odyssey PC680. Cranks 10:1 compression with no issues. Darn thing is tiny. Ditto on the battery tender, it's essential!

Hi Reinhard - I had a look at Alastair's front end, there's not much room but the Odyssey 925T Howard is using (7" X 7" X 5") would surely fit in there - no?

Chris

Hello Chris,

think this will be a tight fit. The depth is the problem.
I just have measured the space - it is approx. 26cm (10,24") wide and 16cm (6,30") deep, if place the battery dirct on the floor. If you place the battery on the framerail you have about 1" more.

Reinhard

Howard Jones

Supporter
Reinhart, I would use one larger battery but not bigger than the 925 series for ANY V8. Two small batterys in parallel will work the same but the total cost will be higher. If I had to do it again I would try one of the smaller ones like maybe the 680T. If you are above 10 or 11 to 1 compression and a 302-347 then I would stay with the 925 series.

You could put a current meter is series and crank it up. See how much you need and go from there. The starter motor will have something to do with it but if the starter is man enough and not being overloaded, like the old orginal V6 starters that came with GTD's, then I think you will get a good idea how much current the battery must provide. If your starter will crank over the motor at good fast clip then what ever it draws current wise is what you will need from your battery. Match that up to the battery specs and your done.

Hello Howard,

The 925 will be a very tight fit. The problem is that the radiator pipes are exiting in the middle of the car – not like the GTD´s right and left. My engine is a 302 with a compression of 11:1 and I do not know if the 680 will be strong enough. Your suggestion with the current meter is very good. As soon as the engine is ready we will try this.

Reinhard

Does anybody know what the difference is between the four Odyssey 680 batteries (besides the terminals)?
When you look at the datasheet they all seem to be the same.

Reinhard

Howard Jones

Supporter
Reinhard, Could you place one of the narrow 680 on each side of the waterlines? Two of these will turn a bigblock so you wouldn't have a issue with enough current. You could start with one and see how it goes and if you need more power then simply add another on the other side of the water lines.

MAKE SURE you have cables that are large enough to transfer current to the starter. If you have too, double up a smaller diameter cable. Try and find some welding equipment cable. You will need a cross section of at least 3/8 of very high quality welding multistrand cable (the copper cross section not including the rubber insulation) to run all the way back to the starter. There is a very good reason for multistrand wire, use it. Also use a proper crimping tool and lugs. If you have too, get them made up for you. Don't try and save money on the cable, you'll just end up doing it over. So bigger in diameter is better but you should not need to exceed 7/16 though.

Getting the cables right is a big deal. Bad crimps, hot cable, melted insulation, etc. is a pain in the ass later when you are trying to figure out why you expensive new starter won't turn your expensive new motor from your expensive new trick batterys.

Had no luck with an Optima as it would not hold it's charge. Tried an Odyssey and it has been ideal. I use it in a car that is only used 2 or 3 times a year. Regards

Hello Norman,
two of the 680 batteries should fit without problem. With the aluminium hold down box supplied by Odyssey this will be a neat installation.

[ QUOTE ]
Bad crimps, hot cable, melted insulation

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first thing I check because with the old Corvettes we always have these problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif
I have the cables already here (supplied by MDA) and they are the right quality.

Reinhard

I have used an Odyssey 680 in a homebuilt aircraft for the last two and a half years with no problems at all - even in freezing conditions. The engine is 2.2 litres and it turns it over with real vigour when starting. Also you can mount it any way up except directly upside down.

The battery weighs 15 Lbs and the dimensions (for Frank!) are 7 3/16" X 3 1/16" X 6 9/16".

Judging by the performance of the 680, the 925 should easily cope with starting a high compression V8. It weighs 24 Lbs with dimensions 6 9/16" X 6 7/8" X 5 11/16".

Hope this helps

Chris

Back