Compact Size Battery

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Just to clear up the difference between the Odyssey battery
and a gel battery:The Odyssey is an absorbed electrolyte type battery, meaning that there is no free acid inside the battery; all of the acid is kept absorbed in the glass mat separators. These separators serve to keep the positive and negative plates apart.
The key difference between the gel cell and the absorbed glass mat (AGM) cell lies in the fact that in the AGM cell all of the electrolyte is in the separator, whereas in the gel cell the acid is within the cells in a gel form. In fact, if the Odyssey battery were to split open, there would not be any acid spillage at all.
Dave M

Howard Jones

Supporter
The 680MJT has the correct terminals for both the old style battery clamp style connectors and it is threaded so that you can use a nice neat lug. It also has a metal jacket. I would guess this would provide some protection in a shunt from penetration of the plastic box by somthing hard and pointy. The other thing about the metal case is if you remove it and weld on the proper mounts and hold down strap, slide the battery back in and then you have a perfect battery box. This is done alot.

The others have either post style connectors and no metal container or non-post/ no metal case. They all are the same electrically.

Why use the post style? Easy to attach jumper cables to. Thats the only reason I could think of.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I have an oddsey 680MJT from the www.batterymart.com they have a pretty good price and have the brass posts.

The battery is around 6 years old, works fine to turn over the 12+ compression 331 in the mustang.

I'm not sure why it still works as well as it does. I have a spare that I got for it but have not needed to replace it since the orig works so well.

Also summit racing has the billet battery mounts, same for jegs i'll expect. I just got one and it's not too bad, and it does fit fine with the MJT metal cased battery.

For the GT40 project I'll likely go for the larger battery then the 680MJT just due to all the extra electrical (Fan's, Trans oil pump, etc).

The odessey is a great product!

Sandy

Hello,

I have built two dummy batteries to check the fit – boys are they small.The dummies actually came out a bit bigger than in real.
One is the Odyssey PC 680 and one is the Odyssey PC 925. On the first picture I have placed the batteries direct on the floor - this will be a tight fit for the 925.
On the second picture they are placed on the rear rail and “mounted” to the rear panel. This makes a very nice installation even for the bigger PC 925.

Regards,
Reinhard

Attachments

• 70673-Battery1.jpg
    70673-Battery1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 239
Back