Comparisons factory five daytona coupe/RF gt40, search Q's

Comparisons factory five daytona coupe/RF gt40, search Q\'s

Hello,
I am brand new to kit cars, and was recently introduced to a factory five cobra roadster spec car at a track event at Roebling Road Raceway. I am used to my 993 that I've set up as an RS, and was very impressed at how the roadster handled on track. Since then, I have been extensively researching building one of their cobra daytona coupes. I have a really cool GMP #6 gulf gt40 on my desk, and that got me thinking of looking into the gt40 kits. I was wondering if any of you gt40 guys have any experience with the daytona coupe, and any comparisons/opinions you might offer. I have read about the CAV and RF kits so far, and am more interested in a self build to do as a project with my dad. The car will be used 70/30 track/street, and will have 2 drivers on track weekends (as I do with the 993 now)

I have played around with the search function with two different browsers, and get multiple responses for every search. I know people get frustrated with repetition on these forums, so if you could maybe help me out with some keywords to use that would be great, or if you'd like to reply that would be even better. So far, the RF basic kit seems more in line with what I'm looking for, but feel free to add.

I'm tall (6'3"). Using a racing shell seat, will I fit with a helmet?

Does anyone who tracks have any ballpark lap times for tracks like roebling, sebring, road atlanta?

Build times? Do kits really supply everything needed to complete car beside engine and tranny?

Ballpark build prices doing your own paintwork? The FFR kit is $15k, and to make it track worthy I estimate $30k, and up to $40k for a screamer. The RF gt40 is $35k. It sounds a lot more complete than the FFR daytona (wiring, brackets, etc), but can I really expect to be able to add a motor/tranny, assemble, paint, and be track ready?

I've been told that the FFR coupes can be leaky and hot. What's the experience from gt40 owners?

Thanks!
David

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Comparisons factory five daytona coupe/RF gt40, search Q\'s

Hi David,
Where do you live? I assume somewhere a little south of me in NC since you're asking about tracks I race at and some further down. You'll receive a lot of good feedback here I think and I hope I'll be able to provide you with some solid data early in 2006. My RF40 is to be here in the Fall and I hope to have it track ready by Jan/Feb. Did you have your Porsche at Roebling April 24th time frame? I was there then and do remember seeing one, also saw a nice one set up for track use at VIR last weekend too that might have been you.

David

Yes....FFR coupes can be leaky and hot...but so can any
enclosed race car....especially in the summer.

Most dual purpose GT40's are being built with A/C, insulation, complete weatherstripping, etc...but
track only cars are obviously another matter.
Would yours be dual purpose?

As far as the FFR coupe vs GT40 quality, that's mostly a function of the skill/dedication of the builder...but
the GT40 is obviously a more advanced car..just like
it was when it replaced the coupe in 1965.

MikeD

Neal

Lifetime Supporter

Two unique and different cars. I've built three FFR cars and found them to be good quality and well engineered. The current versions are very mature and offer a lot of bang for the buck. The coupe chassis is very similar to the spec racer and should perform well as a street/track car.

Best to get a close look at both cars. Definitely sit in them. Either are going to be tight for you. A forum member, Bill H, did the first couple bodies for FFR. His couple is very nice. I agree with Mike in that the end product is really up to the builder. Both manufactures offer tried and tested products. I don't think you could be wrong with either choice.

Ron - I'm in Gainesville, FL. I was at Roebling April 29 - May 1. I think I was the only 993 running in the higher group. I ran in black, and my dad drove the car in green. It's black with the nose taped up in blue.

Mike - The car will be 70/30 track/street. I was under the assumption that the gt40 would be more advanced, and also that it would have some modern enhancements as well.

Neal - Have you built a coupe? How did the build processes compare w/ the 2 companies? Which one had the most frustrations? The roadsters (esp the spec car) are a big bang for the buck. The coupe will be a lot more to build right from my calculations. One thing about the spec that I looked at, was that it had plenty of legroom for me, an my head was well below the rollbar; I've been told I'd be ok in the coupe.

One thing on the FFR coupe, is that not many people track them yet, and it seems that there's still a lot of sorting to do to make them really fast. Plus there's disagreement as which rear end is better (independent vs. solid). Many feel that swaybars need to be added (etc, etc). I spoke with Gordon Levy, and he seemed to be the most knowledgeable about the cars. I noticed from my research that he used to be an RF dealer. Any reason why he went to the FFR's?

As for the RF kits, since they've been out longer, and appear to be pretty track oriented, how well "sorted" are they for a lot of track use? What's nice about the 993 is that there is so much already known about how to properly set them up, and the car is bulletproof.

Just for a frame of reference, my plan had been to get a 996 gt3 supercup that I could do DE's with my dad, and clubrace as well. This was great until I started estimating the operating costs. Now, I think I'd like to build a hotrod track car that's not real expensive to operate, and clubrace a 944 variant in pca (or maybe just stick w/ karting)

Ron Earp

Admin

Hi David,

We were there different weekends then, I was there on the SCCA weekend and it sounds like you race Porsche Cup events or PCA track days. If you do a 944 you should do a 944 for SCCA Improved Touring S class. There are a few running and they do pretty well. S is highly competitive though, with some large fields in the SE, sometimes as many as 40-50 cars, but it is a good bunch of guys. 944 are reasonable to build in IT and seem to be reasonable to maintain.

If you are interested in an RF car then contact Hershal Byrd via the forum or email, he can fill you in on all the details and info with respect to Gordon and FFR. The GT40 that has seen the most track use are the GTDs in England, and used ones can be obtained as well as current production chassis although GTD is long gone the car is still being made by another group of people. There are a couple of RF's that race and those folks are on here too and might chime in.

I think Jerry Jansing has done a bunch of track time in his RF MK1 and is currently building a RF MKll .
He is a member of this forum, and on your "half" of the US. He may have ran some of the tracks your speaking of.
[email protected] email him .

Neal

Lifetime Supporter

I've not built a Coupe. I'm currently building a roadster track car with the 3-link. I did look very closely at it though. The thing I like about FFR is they run their cars on the track resulting in a solid product. The coupe has all the elements of the spec racer and would prove to be a fun car. Both cars require a fair amount of bodywork/alignment to get to a high standard. I've only seen photos of the RF and it's body appears to be very nice relative to the coupe. Don't let this scare you though. Check one out if you can. Gordon knows his FFR cars. Check out ffcobra.com for additional coupe info. Either way you'll have a unique and fun car!

Back