confusion in engine choice

i'm still on the audi route with my scratchbuilt project, but i just spoke to my uncle who works on audis among other cars, and he thinks i'd be better off financially with an american engine. well, i just looked to see what crate engines are available and a) they all look too big and b) they actually cost more than an audi engine, even used ford modular motors. is there really and v8 engine that will fit in place of the audi one? i designed my engine bay around the audi engine, so i doubt anything else could fit without me doing major modifications to the design and sacrificing a lot of legroom. so now i really wonder, apart from the possibility of another engine, would i really be better off without the audi one?

There's quite a few fans of push rod motors on this forum, so don't be surprised where they come from ;)

You might want to look at the Toyota V8's the 1UZFE and later VVT version are basically a 700mm cube which weighs ~200kg dressed. With their 6 bolt mains they can make a lot of hp before coming unglued. And they are cheap they seems to be available in the USA for less than $1K a pop in running order.

I'm refering to the all alloy units found in Lexus's not the cast iron block truck motor.

will it fit in an abz shaped hole?

oh, and i have to admit...i hate pushrod engines. dohc has always seemed superior to me.

Back