Corvette suspension???

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
What is everyone's opinion on the viability of using corvette c4 front and rear uprights with custom axles? Thanks

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Gregg, I can never keep that C4, C5, C2.5 corvette crap straight, but I am using 85-87 Corvette front uprights as most of the aftermarket uprights seem to be spec'd from these anyway. I think they are great. To be honest, I never really looked at the rear uprights as they are seemed so drastically different in design than the GT40s. I have used a set of DRB rear uprights and I am very happy, so far, with these. I believe all of the Corvette castings are by PBR in Australia and I have never heard anything but good about their stuff.

Regards,
Lynn

I thought all of the CN stuff really referred to the body styles anyway; not the machine underneath. But, what do I know ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn thanks for the reply. Not to familiar with the differences but was advised that C4 and C5 differ. I don't even know what the uprights look like. All I know is that this project is going on three years and I'm tired of all the BS received. Is it possible to send some pictures of the front end? If anyone is interested I am trying to source uprights which are mass produced in the US so I am not married to any specific company and will be able to pick the parts up at the local dealer or junk yard. I am forced to make custom stub axles for my application anyway. Thanks

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Gregg !!
I just sent you some pictures of the Corvette suspension parts and uprights, but your mail box won't accept the pictures. I sent them in small e-mailable format, but it exceeded your capacity. I also have pictures of the Corvette TS-1 road racing control arms. If there is another address I can send them to, please drop me a line.
Regards Brian

The C3 was the Mako shark style Vette 1968 - 1983.
The C4 was the next generation Vette 1984 - 1996.
The C5 is the current generation 1997 - present.

C4 parts were used by several GT40 builders.
They are cheap and strong, but there are differences between 1984-1987 vintage and 1988-1996 vintage.
DRB uses the earlier years...but as Lynn pointed
out to me, the later year emergency brake system is better,
so I'm using 1984 parts in front and 1988 parts out back.

C5 parts are MUCH more expensive than C4 parts.
Fran Hall (GT40Fran) just installed C5 parts
on a GT40. Contact him for specifics

MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
The C3 was the Mako shark style Vette 1968 - 1983.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, I'm sure you know this, but there was actually no Corvette in 1983. Similar to how there was no Cobra in 2000 (other than the Cobra R) or 2002. Always a good trick question to test the knowledge of a gearhead: "So, what do you know about the 1983 Corvette?"

Actually there was one C4 Corvette built in 83 ..but due to EPA/DOT stuff the car was never released as it would all have been for nothing due to having to do it again for 84....(I work with a bunch of Huge Corvette lovers at G,M.)

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Brian, thanks for the reply, however there were no pictures attached. Do you have a web page showing your build that I could possibly go to, or if it is not too much trouble can you resend the pictures. Thanks.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks to all who replied, especially Brian for your patience and photos, as well as Mike & Valerie D. and Pedro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Gregg, as my car is a DRB, I am using the 'Vette parts that it was designed to take. The DRB uses the whole front suspension & brakes (mine are from an '87 C4) - the upper & lower arms are alloy, light & very strong. Geometry is simple to set up & adjust by just shimming the front/back of the top arm mounts. The brakes are huge & simple (a single piston system) - not as exotic as the multi-pot AP's etc, but when you think that they do a damn good job on a car nearly twice as heavy as a GT40, they really do provide enormous stopping power for the low cost involved.

Another advantage of using the full 'Vette front setup is that with urethane bushes, you can get a civilised ride quality, together with good compliance.

The DRB rear uprights are designed to take C4 'Vette spindles & brakes - just bolt them in. I am using '88 brakes as these have a handbrake which works on the pads - a much better & simpler system than the earlier C4's which had a mini drum brake inside the rotor hub.

All in all, I think the 'Vette approach has a lot going for it - lots of capability for not much money, and if you want to upgrade the brakes later, the range of after-market options is huge and not all that expensive.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back