Could someone please list the GT40 builders

Hello,
Nice forum you have here, friendly. I'm looking to build a GT40 sometime and have a few questions. I thought maybe someone here could help. What I have in mind is a #1075 in Gulf colors, no racing in mind so it'll be used on the street. I'm not too much of a pureist so the degree of authentisity with the tub frame is not high on my list but I would like the car to handle and be configured as much as possible like the original. It'll be used in the USA so Left handed as well.

I've been looking over and reading about the offerings from ERA, DRB, GT40NZ, RF and CAV. Are these the only ones out there? Is there a comparison of these kits/cars out there? Cost is a consideration also. Do any of these manufacturers finance the kit? ( The better half asked so that might help get an order placed sooner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )

I welcome opinions on the kits too. I'm not a mechanic but I know I'll get it built correctly if I have good instructions.

Thanks
Barry

You have pretty much found most of them. MDA is another and Tornado. If you've used the search you as well know the price ranges. ERA and Tornado have a long wait time. and the New Zealand kit is not going to be as inexpensive as many had once hoped it would be. I met a local Superformance rep acouple months ago and they plan to release a turnkey minus in the spring. All these replica's are high quality and it becomes a real debate on who's is better. Its really boils down to what company has the best option that is most important to you. There are those that only offer turnkey and you may want to build. Dont think that you will make money on resale. Most just hope to get what they have into back. If anyone make money it is only in the low thousands or so on resale. The best value and price is to buy a finished car from the UK and have the engine and trans removed and ship both here to the states and then reinstall. But you will have to accept the fact that you will have a RH driver vehicle. No inexpensive way to convert to RHD.

[ QUOTE ]
You have pretty much found most of them. ....Dont think that you will make money on resale. Most just hope to get what they have into back. If anyone make money it is only in the low thousands or so on resale. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan, Shannon,
Thanks for the info. I do see that the older replicas are not selling for much more than the new kits overall. Thats one reason to keep the investment down as thee's a point where it's equitable to own one and still be able to break even. The turnkey minus, after reading about it a bit, seems to be a great way to go. With that in mind I'm going to find a 302 engine and Audi transaxle and get it ready for an eventual car.
Thanks,
Barry

Back