Crankcase Ventilation and EVAP System

Hello There,
Are there any gurus out there that know about engine crankcase and fuel tank ventilation and recycling systems?
Apparently, with my blown motor, the engine bay can become coated with oil from the engine breathers, due to blow-by, so an oil catch can is necessary. The catch can should recycle into the motor, as should the vent from the EVAP system charcoal canister. In my car they are located alongside each other.
I'm hesitant to mix fuel and oil / fuel vent streams into a single vacuum line, but as they both go into the motor, albeit usually separately, can this be done?
Where should the connections at the motor be located? I have a convenient location on the inlet manifold between the throttle bodies (blanked off in image), rather than into the air filters. Is this acceptable?
Does anyone know if this has been done before?
I'm currently researching, but any help appreciated. I can provide more detailed descriptions and images if required.
Cheers,
Lance

Attachments

• DSC07004.JPG
    DSC07004.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 391

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
If you port the crankcase ventilation into that port it will upset the air fuel mixture.
It would be better to connect the crankcase ventilation into the filter side of the MAF so it becomes part of the total air flow measurement flowing through the throttle bodies.

Are there baffles below the K/N breathers, if not you need to rethink that position. Actually looking at your pic you need to isolate the intake tubes and filters into the air inlets on each side so your not forcing the engine to breath hot air from engine bay which could lead to detonation etc.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dimi. That's what I was trying to avoid, purely for ease of installation, but will have to look at it further.

There are baffles built into the covers below the breathers, Jac, so not a problem. I'm looking at an air scoop built into the rear window / engine cover to ensure a good supply of cool air while moving. I've avoided the side inlets because, according to the GT40 smoke flow test video (posted here at some stage) the side inlets do basically nothing, but look nice. Therefore the MkII arrangement.

Cheers,
Lance

Back