Dash and interior

I know this is different then most but I wanted something different
slc dash 001.JPG
slc dash 002.JPG
superlite dash 001.JPG
superlite dash 003.JPG

not dedicated for the track. I would change the roll bar set-up for that, but we are planning on the track and that usually means slicks and fun. I am not planning fender to fender racing with this car but who knows...................m

I'm asking this from a completely uneducated standpoint here, but are there DOT regulations on the additional brace in the middle of the windshield? Anything to do with blocking the driver's view?

I'm looking forward to seeing this finished.

Joel K

Supporter
Nice work Mahlon. Very different and that is what makes the SLC so interesting. Everyone has their own concept of what they are looking to create.

Thanks Joel! we do all have our own concepts and ideas that's what I like about car building. Chris as far as the forward bracing bar for the cage not that I have ever seen. I was in the fire service for 35 years before I recently retired. I did a lot of apparatus design and specifications for our emergency apparatus, mostly our Trucks and engines not as much on our medic units all of our trucks had 2 piece glass in the front as do most commercial trucks with a center divider. The cage is not connected to the glass so a valid question, I do have it set to where it sits right up to w/o touching the front windshield so I am not to concerned about it. If someone has further information on it please do chime in.......m

I'm asking this from a completely uneducated standpoint here, but are there DOT regulations on the additional brace in the middle of the windshield? Anything to do with blocking the driver's view?

Chris, Can't say I'm an expert, but I have looked as I am planning on doing the same down the road. I've found nothing that implies you cannot. In addition, up till at least 1969 Detroit was still building cars with split windshields (69 Dodge Sportsman Van) which effectively have the same encumbrance. And as Mahlon pointed out, many low volume commercial vehicles still do and they are generally concerned with DOT regs.

In reality DOT regulations don't mean much for cars - it's down to what you state requires for inspection(s) and what your LEOs enforce.

IMHO, that protection could be key if you go under a car/truck in your SLC.

Back